Getting my first betta - what else do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lima

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! I've been wanting to get a betta for a long time (I have a 15 and a 36 gallon already but the fish in those tanks aren't compatible with one), so I set up a separate 5 gallon tank to put one in. I've got a heater in there and gentle filtration (I've read they need still water). I put in a couple of plants and some of those moss balls. I've ordered a floating log hiding place and a betta hammock so it has places to rest and hide, and more plants.

What else do I need? I've seen a lot of betta-specific things like caves and I understand they like to hide and need low-light areas. Would plants and a floating log be enough, or do I need to get a cave for him? I've also seen some betta-specific water treatment and water, but I was just planning to use my regular tap with API stress coat/dechlorinator just like I do my bigger tanks. Does that work for bettas or do they actually need specialized water and/or water treatment?

When I pick out my betta what do I need to look for? They all always look sort of crappy in those cups at the store, but are there specific signs I need to watch out for?

Thanks for any advice from those with experience with these fish! I'm doing a fishless cycle on the tank and the cycle is almost completed, so I'd like to put the finishing touches on the tank so I can put a betta in there as soon as the cycle is totally finished.

Look for a smaller one, they're usually younger. No curled fins, cloudy eyes or signs of illness. Laying on the bottom isn't always bad, unless they don't seem to swim well, you want one that seems interested in what's going on. Flaring at other bettas is a good sign of interest, although it can be a sign of aggression (if you're trying to have other occupants/snails).

OK, here goes! You let the Betta pick you! Look for fin rot, any kinda illness you've seen doing you research on them. Find some rings they can swim threw. Mine loves to swim. Don't put too much in his way with plants and caves. Remember, a tank is freedom to them. That little cup is a just them waiting for death to come. It's sad! They love to play! Silicone plants are awesome! Mine loves his! They like to flow with the filter wave, as long as it a soft push. They like alittle bit of bubbles to push them up. A small Betta is younger, pick one you want, but make sure he, or she, picks you too! You can teach them tricks, so pick wisely... Best of luck to you and your new adoption!

So my tank is officially cycled! I did the water change this evening to get the nitrates down and put in some more live plants. Mostly low growing so he'll have a decent amount of space to swim but also places to hide. I'm going tomorrow to get one. Weirdly excited!

Back
Top Bottom