getting plants to grow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollipops

Aquarium Advice Regular
I wouldn't consider myself to have a planted tank; my sand is just pool filter sand, and the only plants I have are elodea and java moss. My tanks are outdoors :cool: so I've never needed to bother with lights (plus I'm never home around sunset, so the few times I've tried using the lights, I come home late at night and find my poor fish still thinking it's daytime.)

Buuuut I want my java moss and elodea to GROW GROW GROW in my 10 gallon, so that I can move it to my 55 gallon as a treat for my goldie :whistle:

So I'm leaving the light during the day for extra light... is there an easy way to... I dunno, fertilize even though I have sand, and the java moss isn't attached to anything?

I also want the tank to be safe for fishes.

Product suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

mmmm the first batch I've had for several weeks, maybe over a month, when I was having a hard time keeping up with a 6 inch goldfish in a 10 gallon tank...

As a side note. Have you ever considered Duck Weed?

You can grow that in a tub outside and harvest it for the Goldies food. Mine would eat almost all I could put in, in one day, 2 days max, it was gone!!!

I have grown Elodea in the shady sun under the edge of a tree in a 5 gallon bucket.

Would recommend a brand name (usually stronger built) sheer storage tote (rectangle) from a discount store. You can grow plants very nicely. I have a large one which is growing plants very well in the shady, occassional direct sun under a deck. I am not using ferts yet but should be. 2 months, great growth, would be even better with some liquid ferts.

I take it that liquid fertilizers would be fish safe? But will i experience algae blooms?

Back
Top Bottom