Getting rid of duckweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Duckweed from my shrimp tank got into my planted tank and it's spread fast over 3 days I need to get rid if it
Any good techniques you guys have used to get rid of it?

add some mystery snails, once they work out they can eat it its over pritty quick, i lost all the duck weed in my 55g:(

I would just start scooping it out if you can. It's a big pain in the butt. I've got the same problem with my hornwort.

HopefulHobbiest said:
so heres the curiosity question... what exactly is duckweed and hornwort? is a floating plant, a "planted" plant, or something annoying?

Duckweed is floating and hornwort can be both if I'm not mistaken. I have my hornwort floating and it's overtaking the entire surface.

You can scoop some out, put it into a baggie, and ship it to me :) I need some floating plants to fill my 10 gallon and was considering wisteria

i may have to get some duckweed or hornwort for my tank... need some floating plants to give the tank some shade and help soak up some of the nitrates lol

Tetra1990 said:
Duckweed is floating and hornwort can be both if I'm not mistaken. I have my hornwort floating and it's overtaking the entire surface.

Yeah that's what I'm doing they reproduce so fast -.-

get a tank of fancy gold fish they love to eat it. i have a 30 gallon tank that i clean out weekly and feed it to them

get a tank of fancy gold fish they love to eat it. i have a 30 gallon tank that i clean out weekly and feed it to them

Yeah it's candy to fancy goldfish, mine can clear the covered surface of the 55 in no time at all. My angels also like a treat of it. Scooping it out with a net is the fastest way to get it out. Once you have the bulk of it removed use you hand to swish the rest that clings to the sides and corners out in the open water where you can remove it. Another thing that I don't like but will work is not using your lights for a couple days to get it to start dying, then scooping whats left out.

Back
Top Bottom