getting rid of mts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I must have 2-300 mts... My clown loaches cant keep up. Any ideas how to get rid of them faster? I dont have the heart to just pick them out and throw them away or let them dry... Thats just horrible...

Trap them out and offer them to LFS's or place an ad on the forum to see if anyone wants any. Also as long as there is available food they will continue to breed.

You may want to try assassin snails ive read good things about their abilities.

Assissin snails are good but just be sure you don't want to put any snails like nerites in your tank again because you won't be able to.

I must have 2-300 mts... My clown loaches cant keep up. Any ideas how to get rid of them faster? I dont have the heart to just pick them out and throw them away or let them dry... Thats just horrible...

You may need to swallow your pride and at least hand pick the larger ones out. Put them in a zip lock bag and place them in the freezer over night. They will pass away and then toss them in the trash. More choices would be getting assassin snails who will hunt down your mts and eat them. Cutting back/down your feedings will also help. I also have mts in one of my tanks. After I discovered the problem, I cut back my feedings to 3 days a week.

It's easy to do. Get a glass jar, then slice a zucchini long ways in a 1/4" or so thick slice. Microwave it a few seconds to slightly soften it. Lay the jar on it's side and lay the zucchini strip in but weight it down or it will float. Lay jar on the substrate on it's side and wait a couple hours (do this after the lights are out) then gently turn the jar right side up and remove from the tank. Put the snails in another container and put the jar back in. It's gonna take some time to get the bulk of them.

Cutting back feeding can help but they also eat detris including decaying plant material so even with limited feedings you can still have quite a healthy breeding colony.

Back
Top Bottom