Getting So Discouraged!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
meegosh said:
Why are those readings that you gave earlier this month so much different? You say now you are getting 40+ppm of nitrates straight from the tap? Even so, that's not horrible.

I would just use tap water, regardless of your ammonia readings of .25-.5ppm. Adding prime will take care of that (may still show in tests though). Stock will have a big impact on your nitrates as has been discussed already.

Those nitrate levels were from just doing a water change, not just the tap water itself! My pH stays at 8.0 ammonia at .25 and my nitrates are 40, but that is from my tank not my tap!

Well if you are getting those readings after a PWC I still think you are just fine. 40ppm of nitrates is not deadly. Ammonia will be fine after being treated with Prime or something similar.

I'm with the others though, plecos are nitrate factories and one in a 10g is probably the sole reason for your high nitrates. Don't underestimate the amount of waste they can produce.

Back
Top Bottom