Getting tired of the hobby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmellsFishy15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm new here.

I am getting tired of the hobby, most specifically the work involved. Just a few minutes ago I strained a back muscle while emptying my 20 gallon freshwater. I sold my 200 gallon saltwater tank just for that reason. The water changes, the algae blooms, ect were just getting to be too much. Now I have kiddie freshwater tanks, a 10 and 20 gallon. I am a perfectionist, and I just cannot seem to get the decorations right. And I know they're overstocked to hell. Stock list for the 10 gallon is: 2 (f) balloon mollys, 2 (f) red platy's, 2 (m) mosquito fish, and a male betta. Stock list for the 20 is: 1 (?) gold algea eater, 2 (f) balloon molly's, one HUGE apple snail, 1 (m) orange swordtail 1 (f) dalmation swordtail. I have no health problems, I'm just too busy to deal with fish. Should upgrade to a 30 and put everyone in there? Should I give it up?
Thanks!

I'd go to one tank - just getting all the gear out can chew a bit of time. And then really, really simple. The algae blooms would I think be the important one to fix (ie lighting).

I just posted this a few minutes ago. I went from a huge 2000g fish room to a single 72g bowfront. I couldn't take the 3-4hrs a week in water changes and not to mention additional expenses like electric bills and ever growing demand for rarer and more expensive stock. I think most people in the hobby either quit or downsize at some point. I still have all my tanks and filtration just in case a get a bug up my arse. I'd get one tank you can be happy with and go from there.

I've gone through, this, heck I'm going through this now. I'm looking at getting a python water changer because that is my blockage now, especially with moving into an apartment with wall to wall carpeting. The bucket system sucks.

I'd sit down and make a list of the things you need from the hobby to continue, like less time for maintenance, or different fish/setup. Would you really just rather have one tank, or do you want a few? Are the fish species themselves not doing it for you, or making you feel limited? Be completely honest with yourself.

And then go from there. Maybe you'd rather have a lone fish more like a 'wet pet', or a tank full of nanos. I've kept guppies since forever, had my current batch going since 2010, and I've been wondering lately if I want to keep going with them at all, or just keep some males for awhile to see how I feel....

Surf google images, type whatever pops into your head, check out layouts, ones with kids toys in them, or the extreme planted setups that look unreal. Sometimes you just need a change

Back
Top Bottom