GFCI and Surge Arrestor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hforney

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just curious, how many aquarists use a GFCI for your own safety and a Surge Arrestor for your equipment's safety?

I've been trying to find GFCI power bars for months, but with no luck. I'm currently renting, and I'm not allowed to change out any of the electrical stuff in my apartment (even though I know how!).

With that being said, if anyone (even in the States...I'll order internationally if I have to) knows where I can get GFCI power bars, please let me know!

Sara said:
I've been trying to find GFCI power bars for months, but with no luck.

I don't know for sure but you could try your local computer store. I know they would have a power bar with a built in surge protector. For the GFCI protection you might want to go to the local electrical store buy a GFCI receptacle, a box to mount it in, and a grounded cord set. Put the parts together, plug it in your wall outlet than plug the surge arrestor power bar into the GFCI. Now you have the protection you need for yourself and for your equipment. I believe everyone knows water and electricity does not mix!

I was working on my tank the other night when one of the disconnected hoses started to back siphon. Needless to say water was splashing all over the place. The GFCI immediately shut off the electricity. As a test I plugged the power bar into a regular outlet and the electric stayed on! Without the GFCI the power bar had no idea water was all over the place creating a very dangerous situation. A lot of people will spend hundreds of dollars to light their tank but won't spend a few bucks for safety.

I have surge protector strips on all of my equipment and only a few outlets are GFCI just coincidentally. I did not change any of them out.

Back
Top Bottom