GFCI outlet and heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiCichlid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a new heater called VivAqua quartz heater 100 watt and it says plug into GFCI only but I do not have a GFCI outlet is it still safe to use? or should I not use it at all.

Sure it's safe to use, that is more of a disclaimer for the manufacturer to cover their tail. Many electrical codes require GFCI outlets in areas with water, such as the kitchen or bathroom, or in below grade applications. Seeing as it is used near water, should you zap yourself for whatever reason they're off the hook.

What they said.

A gfci outlet adapter is a good idea if you're going to be reaching into the tank while things are on. They're under $10 at Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I'm surprised people run tanks without a GFCI outlet or extension cord. After being properly shocked by a tank with a faulty heater (or maybe a powerhead, I chucked everything) I only plug tanks into GFCI outlets. They take 5 minutes to install.
There's also the bonus of reduced fire hazard, which is pretty high to begin with.

I'm surprised people run tanks without a GFCI outlet or extension cord. After being properly shocked by a tank with a faulty heater (or maybe a powerhead, I chucked everything) I only plug tanks into GFCI outlets. They take 5 minutes to install.
There's also the bonus of reduced fire hazard, which is pretty high to begin with.

I'm a mom, and the daughter of a homebuilder, so there's just no way I'd go without one either. I'm usually renting so I can't install one, but the plug in adapters are great.

And extension cords ... I again follow my dads advice and go with a 3 prong, 14guage one.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom