GF's first tank....I'm jealous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwell1295

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After watching me and my tanks go through trials and tribulations, my girlfriend decided that she wanted a tank of her own. Of course, she used the age old excuse that it was for her daughter. :roll:

I had given them a male betta with a 1gal tank, plus I added an internal Penn Plax filter.

I haven't done a single thing to this tank....it's been all her. I have just given her a little direction in terms of doing water changes, etc. She didn't fishless cycle :x so I have her doing 50% water changes every other day.

It's a 50 liter tank with 1 male betta, 6 neons, 2 otos, and 3 pandas cories. It was originally supposed to be a new betta tank, but you know how that goes.....she just had to get more fish. All I could do at that point it try to talk her through a fishy cycle.

This is what it looks like after just 3 weeks...

img_652132_0_e71822dacb2334602d5055cbb278e398.jpg

So far, the fish and the plants are doing great. I told her that the amazon sword is going to overgrow that tank, but you didn't really expect her to listen did you? I also advised against the otos since the tank isn't mature enough. Yeah right! The otos are doing great, as are the neons and cories. The betta ("Fall Out Boy") is really enjoying his new kingdom. I just can't get over how healthy and lush the plants look. I think she might be a keeper... :wink:

some people have a natural hand at fish keeping. and u seem to have picked a winner lol. tank looks awesome. only thing i would change is u need to add some kind of colour. maybe a clay pot placed nicely would look good? i am glad the fish and plants are doing good. i have never had luck with neons. my water is to hard. keep us updated!!

Yeah, she could use a little color. Other than the rocks nad the driftwood (my only contribution) everything is pretty much the same shade of green. BTW, no ferts, no CO2, no Excel. Just water, dechlor, and fish good old-fashioned waste.

I've also had some pretty good luck with neons. My only casualty was a jumper who escaped when I went topless last month. I ended up putting my glass top back on after that.

her decision to plant the tank probably helped with the cycle.....it does look nice!!

So when are you gonna let her at your tanks?? (wink, wink)

newfound77951 said:
her decision to plant the tank probably helped with the cycle.....it does look nice!!

So when are you gonna let her at your tanks?? (wink, wink)
My tanks will be her tanks soon enough... :wink:

I have no reservations.....she's been well trained. She learned from all my mistakes! :D

This tank is starting to look better and better. Now I'm really jealous!

Low light, no ferts nice growth, and no algae thanks to the 2 otos she picked up...

img_655639_0_274dec9605ef7b8bcad191d210276e6d.jpg

img_655639_1_8ea7396bebf2d44ba551e62a214e32a9.jpg

img_655639_2_db67bda2ff3f4e99c40bbe6ca045b4f0.jpg

it is a very peaceful looking tank. it almost looks like it was made for that betta. the only thing i dont like is how green it is. u really need something to break up the colour. besides that i am definatly jealous of how well it is doing.

I love all that green! The betta POPS right out of the tank against all those plants. Simply beautiful :D

maxwell1295 said:
I've also had some pretty good luck with neons. My only casualty was a jumper who escaped when I went topless last month. I ended up putting my glass top back on after that.

Can't say I blame the fish - I'd probably jump if I saw you coming at me topless, too!

:D :lol: :bowl:

Another update:

img_660702_0_d810df9e364e81087a0662cdc3cca331.jpg

That growth is incredible. I told her that we would upgrade the lighting when we move in together, but now I'm tempted to just leave it alone. She obviously does not need my help!

Another piece of drifwood and some more anubias wouldn't hurt...

Back
Top Bottom