Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

GH 0mg- Fish loosing scales, black on fins

Hello, I started my 5 gal. goldfish tank on 7/29/17 and I did have issues with ich in the 1st two week and lost 3 fish. They were from a carnival. Since then I ran an ich treatment following the direction. First turning off filter, raising the temperature and once treatment was complete I slowly lowered temperature and turned filter back on. The white fish is the only current fish left from this treatment and his was only in the infected water for two days as I didn't know it was at the time. He had no black fins or missing scales at the time.
Everything seems to be going good with that. However, the one white goldfish started getting black on his fins last week and yesterday I noticed some scales missing. I have issues with the GH levels, its reads 0ppm and the ammonia was reading 3.0 ppm. I was only changing 25% of the water once a week (I use AuguaSafe water conditioner/dechlorinator). I started changing the water everyday since 9/10/17 and on 9/12/17 I started adding aquarium salt as I read this would help raise the GH. Yesterday, I started using the garden hose water as I have a softener. This did raise the GH to 30 ppm and the ammonia to 1.0 ppm. Are these levels hurting the fish? What else should I be doing?

Old 09-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi welcome,

This carnival seems to have a lot to answer for.

Goldfish need way more than 5 gallons. A single goldfish would need say 30gal unfortunately. A 5 gallon tank is a betta tank.

The ammonia levels are too high and this is likely the cause of the black - especially if around gill plate, edge of fins.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Goldfish can take a wide range of water hardness and ph range.

ammonia will the killer by it self.

It will also leave the fish open to numerous secondary infections.

Bacteria and fungal due to the loss of its slime coat and immune system break down.

I'm sorry to say but this fish does not belong in a tank.

Right now you need to have at least 10 gal of water set at least 24 hrs so you can do massive water changes.

don't worry about the ph or hardness. The ammonia level has to be brought down to zero.

I would also use a product like stress coat.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you the advice. I will also try using stress coat. So do I need to still use the garden hose water for each water change or can I use the water from the kitchen which is from the softener? Today I checked the GH and is went up to 60ppm. I know once winter comes it will be harder to get the water that is not softened.

Tags
black, fin, fins, fish, scales

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com