GH and KH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That stocking sounds fine.
Fine as in no more fish?? I would like an idea for maybe a couple of very nice looking, colourful, peaceful fish that would be ok either on their own or as a pair, ideally that would grow to a maximum of 3inches

Oh and an idea of some sort of crawler plant i can plant within the holes in my predrilled lava rock?

Tank looks lovely. Let it grow out a bit.
O2 on after (at the time of) lights out. During the day, lights on (photoperiod) plants produce O2 and use CO2, equilibrium. Plants use O2 when they don't photosynthesise. They create CO2 which can decrease pH as the carbon molecules bind with the water.

This will help balance the system for a given 24 hr period.

Length height width of tank? Label each dimension.
This is for stock cap, people may advise Gallons per inch, that can't work as a square tank and an oblong tank of the same volume are capable of sustaining different quantities of the same fish.

They never look right the first time, or the second! You are being creative with natural objects and getting the look you want is difficult. Some settling on a happy medium here.

River cats knows her plants, she may suggest to you something's that will work.
(You don't have a tank like that and not know plants, plus I read the thread on tiger lotus)

Lava rock may buffer your pH to alkaline, I'm not if sure it's inert, again others may know, if it buffers the water you will be fighting a losing battle trying to achieve neutral to acid conditions with alkaline rock.

Tank looks lovely. Let it grow out a bit. O2 on after (at the time of) lights out. During the day, lights on (photoperiod) plants produce O2 and use CO2, equilibrium. Plants use O2 when they don't photosynthesise. They create CO2 which can decrease pH as the carbon molecules bind with the water. This will help balance the system for a given 24 hr period. Length height width of tank? Label each dimension. This is for stock cap, people may advise Gallons per inch, that can't work as a square tank and an oblong tank of the same volume are capable of sustaining different quantities of the same fish. They never look right the first time, or the second! You are being creative with natural objects and getting the look you want is difficult. Some settling on a happy medium here. River cats knows her plants, she may suggest to you something's that will work. (You don't have a tank like that and not know plants, plus I read the thread on tiger lotus) Lava rock may buffer your pH to alkaline, I'm not if sure it's inert, again others may know, if it buffers the water you will be fighting a losing battle trying to achieve neutral to acid conditions with alkaline rock.

Ok i try to answer most things. The bubbles come on as youve mentioned after my lights go off. Im pretty good with the biology of plants so thought this would be best. I think the tank is 60cm width, 60cm height and 46cm depth. I think. Anyway its a Fluval roma 90. Yes i do have alkaline ph but thought this was more to do with the hard tap water

Ok i try to answer most things. The bubbles come on as youve mentioned after my lights go off. Im pretty good with the biology of plants so thought this would be best. I think the tank is 60cm width, 60cm height and 46cm depth. I think. Anyway its a Fluval roma 90. Yes i do have alkaline ph but thought this was more to do with the hard tap water

Test both, tap water after 24 hrs, tank water at least 24 hrs post change. Other methods include the vinegar fizz test, never used it so can't comment.
Quick web search should yield results on rock type.

Glad you are metric!
The method I use is gaseous exchange for stocking. I try to promote this, it makes more sense than Gal per fish inch.
You need 25cm2 (tropical FW only) per cm fish exc tail fin, normally measured to the caudal penduncle.
60x46= 2760 sq cm
/25= 110 cms fish.

THIS SHOULD BE AN INTERNAL MEASUREMENT!

As you are unsure I have provided all relevant info for readjustment as and when a more precise measurement can be taken.

Small bodied fish to 6cms according to 10 times tank length, a rule of common sense that is commonly advocated here in the UK.

That should make for a nice display, as you approach that figure be wary. Add stock in small batches to allow filter time to mature.
Good luck, it should be a stunning tank if you've plant biology cracked.
That's my pitfall, I have plants for the fish but I'm pretty clueless about that aspect.

Link up with river cats.

What size is your tank? After the tank is 4 months mature a pair of German Blue Rams would be nice for a touch of color and the right size. But they are very sensitive to nitrates which need to be kept at 20ppm or less.

What size is your tank? After the tank is 4 months mature a pair of German Blue Rams would be nice for a touch of color and the right size. But they are very sensitive to nitrates which need to be kept at 20ppm or less.
Its only a tiny one. 90litres :( its all i could fit in. I havnt looked into blue rams

Its only a tiny one. 90litres :( its all i could fit in. I havnt looked into blue rams

That is about 23 gallons so how many of each species do you have in the tank now as that will actually determine what you can add.

That is about 23 gallons so how many of each species do you have in the tank now as that will actually determine what you can add.
6 neon tetras
4 cherry barbs
6 neon green rasboras
6 pygmy corys
2 zebra nerites
2 red bee shrimp
2 black bee shrimp

For that size tank and that stock IMO your pretty well stocked but if you do weekly WC's of 50% you should be able to add a pair of GBR's but that's about it.

For that size tank and that stock IMO your pretty well stocked but if you do weekly WC's of 50% you should be able to add a pair of GBR's but that's about it.
Yea i do id say about 40% every sunday as it is. Yea i was after a bigger fish as the centrepiece and thts tht until i find space to have a go at marine. Id love to have a go at that

Back
Top Bottom