GH/KH questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctordamen

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, love this site!!!
My tanks are all healthy as of now... Due to me looking through other threads I have came across something that may be a problem to me in the near future.. GH and KH...
I tested my main tank today and have GH=180mg/L, KH=80mg/L
55 Gallon - AquaClear 70
Fluval pre-filter
0,0,5-10
80F, pH 7.6
WC 30-40% Thursday's
8 Cardinal Tetras
2 Blue Rams (1m,1f)
2 Dwarf Gourami (1m,1f)
4 Double Red Cockatoo Cichlid (1m,3f)
1 Golden Bristlenose Pleco

Is my water too hard for my rams and cardinals?
I'm pretty sure my rams are actually laying eggs as I type this... But if I should make my water softer I can do that sooner than later...

Yea, Rams are definitely laying eggs right now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If they're thriving then I would not bother with it leave as is. :)

But a few problems I have "read" is that if trying to breed GBR's the harder water can prevent the eggs from being fertilized. Basically scaling up the eggs w/ calcium so the sperm cannot penetrate. Also harder water can create strain on osmo-regulation (shorten life spans), but lots of fish 'multi-generation tank breed' have already learned to adapt to conditions outside of the wild.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425772277.373123.jpg
I knew it lol... This is their second batch.. We will see how it goes

How can I tell which ones are fertilized.. 97% in that picture are a brownish colour... Maybe because it's in a terracota pot.. And a few are definitely white... They have been guarding that pot like crazy and taking turns fanning.. I just took a video. I'll upload it shortly

I'm guessing the ones that are white have been fertilized so far?

:) I am not really sure, I have not got that far w/ GBR's (I have not even purchased mine yet)

But I hear it can be challenging because it may take a few lays before the Rams learn to really be parents.

I know next to nothing about fish breeding, but in another thread angel fish eggs that were white were unfertilized and weren't ever going to hatch. I don't know if it's the same though for other fish.

I know next to nothing about fish breeding, but in another thread angel fish eggs that were white were unfertilized and weren't ever going to hatch. I don't know if it's the same though for other fish.

Yea I ended up reading that pretty much all my eggs were actually fertilized! :)
I woke up during the night to check on them, shined my light into the tank, and there was one of my female apistos munching away on the eggs lol
I moved the pot up against the glass so no fish can get the eggs anymore, but there's only 50 left anyways.
I'm interested to see if the eggs will actually hatch due to my water being on the hard side.

Back
Top Bottom