GH Needs to be Dealt With?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GinnyFinny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed in the last 6 days my GH had doubled from 75 to 150 ppm. The alkalinity (KH) has gone from 40 to 70 ppm. During this time I've done two 15% water changes (20 gallon long) and only addition was 1.6 ml of Flourish. All other test results have been totally normal.

I did my last water change on Friday night. Previous one was March 9th. Any suggestions as what to do? Oh yeah, I added another power filter on the 11th (an AquaClear 20 to my existing AquaClear 30). Could this be a bio problem? I obviously used tank water to rinse media and fill reservoir.

:fish1: :confused:

Unless your fish are literally pooping bricks, a rise in GH/KH is not related to the biology of the tank. It's most likely a problem with either your substrate or a rock you put in the tank for decoration that's leeching.

Well, I took out all the rocks and I am testing the GH and KH every day for two weeks. I did a 3 gallon water change today, and I will continue doing frequent water changes. Already the three plain looking rocks have altered or changed their GH and KH levels. Very weird. Will update in the next two weeks leaving the rocks out and continuing to do frequent water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom