GH Test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishEggs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do these tests go bad? API drop tests.
I have an old test (maybe 6years old) and when i try to test my water it wont change color. Do i have super hard water or bad test drops?

How many drops have you used without the color change? An API GH/KH kit costs about $6 online, so buying a new one is pretty cost effective. My kit has expiration dates, too.

i put 50 drops in it before stopping. Just kept getting more and more orange. The KH test took 4 drops and changed color. I just see lot numbers on my test bottle.
The cost isn't an issue on a new one. i figured on buying a new one. i just wanted to make sure i have to, otherwise the money could buy fish or plants.

LOL. From day one the GH test kit I bought never would change also. The KH bottle tested just fine. Since I got the GH from our city water quality report I never messed with it again. I figure it's a bad bottle. I'll buy another when the KH runs out. I'm beginning to believe that dud test bottles of the API stuff is not that uncommon. OS.

as far as i recall it used to work.. . . . . i think. . . . . . .. . it was a long time ago.
i havent tried to change the hardness but i am wanting to do a amazon biotope with dwarf cichlids so i wanted to check where i'm starting from and if it will be an issue.

That's what I have in my 29g, all soft water tetras. I've always worried more about the KH than the GH because of needed pH buffering with CO2. My water is 2 dKH in winter and 4dKH in summer. For GH look online for your water report if you have one. OS.

Back
Top Bottom