Ghost Knife fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacob Morgan

Aquarium Advice Freak
yes I saw this fish a while back in my LFS and thought it was cool.. called a ghost fish or ghost knife or someting like this? black with a white stripe.. awsome looking? I understand you need atube for it?

what tank size etc for it?

I have had F/w long time ago but been in S/W for a whie. I plan to setup a F/w for the heck of it cause the fish are frankly cheaper to buy and easier to maintain (no pun intended.)

Jacob

The recommended tank size for the ghost fish is 55 gallon tank, As they can grow over a foot long. The tube is needed if there is no place else for the fish to hide. In my sons 55 gal tank we used the tube and the ghost fish hardly used it prefering to stay in the thick plants. These fish also have a warning mechanism. If bothered by fin nippers they send out an electrical discharge (they are distantly related to the electric eel) if this doesn't work goodbye fin nipper as it will kill it. They also are a nocturnal fish very sharp to watch it swim like a big fin. My sons would come and wrap around his hand when he was cleaning the tank. A neat fish just watch his tank mates

I wanted it for my 29.. :-/

what do u guys recomend? I want something nice and pretty.. if its hard to keep fine just tell me its name and I will do the proper research hehe

thanx in a advance.. I want a pretty F/W next to my 'goin to be pretty when i have money ' saltwater

Jacob

Africans

I can't help it...I have to suggest African Cichlids. I think they are 8) . Go to www.vatoelvis.com and check them out. There are some truly beautiful fish in this group and you should be able to keep several in a 29 as long as you get species that are compatible. Some of them are kind of intolerant of other fish, but others are quite peaceful.
Logan J

Aight my dad has Oscars. They might be pretty but since once they get larger unless they grew up with other fish they seem to kill any fish you put in teh tank with them.

He has several other tanks of small fish.. I.E. guppies, mollies but they just dun do nething for me.

Thanx yall

Jacob

I am partial to Gouramis. I have two powder blue dwarf gouramis and two pearl gouramis. The powder blue have amazing colors shifting from metallic blue to a deep purple to almost crimson when viewed through the light. Plus they are very active and will swim up to me when I approach the tank.

I really enjoy Lake Mawali African Ciclids. They have beautiful colors and personalitys that are very interesting.

Jacob Morgan said:
He has several other tanks of small fish.. I.E. guppies, mollies but they just dun do nething for me.

Oy, some of us are beginners and like these fish !! :p
However, like you, eventually, I'm definitely going to keep marine / saltwater fish.

Jasonit - I've got Gourami's too. One gold and one pearl.
Never heard of Powder Blue though ! :)

the large oscar is in a 55.. err. I want the 55 soo bad for a salt..

Grant. take your time a salt nis not near as'hard' as ppl make it out to be. if you have the mindset of doing what you need to do from the git' go then you can keep a saltwater tank.

humm Is there NO way I can keep a ghost knife in the 29 and when its get larger move it up to a 55 f/w??

Jacob

psst that was my main reason I was gonna setup the 29 :-/

i have a friend who has one in his ten gallon. been alive for two months now. i know that's not even close to recommended, but it's his money/his tank and not mine. very interesting fish to watch, though his tends to sleep all day, but at night, when he switches off the overheads and turns on his black light mounted behind the tank, the fish is VERY active. i'd say IF you move him to the bigger tank when he needs it, everything should be fine. this may take several years, so you've got plenty of time. i've heard of these guys living for 8+ years. just take care of him, and, of course, do your research (which i know you will).

The Ghost if small enough could be kept in the 29 gallon tank but would need to be moved eventually. They do swim about the tank but not with any great speed that I have seen. I also never saw one for sale smaller then 4-5".
If your not going to get the 55 soon I would just hold off until you get it, Just in case it dosen't happen.

o we have a 55.. it has as oscar in it. I don't expect the oscar to last long.. he breaks heaters and my dad well is just not replacing them anymore. Also he does not do w/c etc on his tanks (i ahve told him..) . The reason they have lasted this long I think is they have been moved every few months either to a new shop or from one place to another place in the shop. When he sets it up this time it will be there fgor a long time asnd i Ifeel the oscar wil die either form cold water since he breaks his heater or just from water quality... tho he might just get out the hobby and get rid of the oscar since it kills everything in the tank :-/

Jacob

psst I will set this up.. Just have to get all that snad out of this tank from the S/W setup opoo boy fun fun.. its like 36 degrees outside :-x

Not sure, He enjoys watching it but on the other hand replacing heaters left and right is no fun...

Jacob

Why dont he just plumb up a 20 gal sump or something like that. U know a cheap rubbermaid storage tub with an overflow in the tank and a return pump. Then put all the heaters you want in the sump and the fish will never be able to destory them again.

For the cost of a new heater all the time the sump could pay for itself in just a few weeks.

I suggested it to him. He says he has no space to put a sump. :-/

Jacob

psst maybe I wil get the tank done today :-/ its pretty cold out there..

U sound so much like me, "R U SURE I CANT :cry: " lol

I would go with some cichlids or tetras. And if you have 1500 you can get a 250 gal and get some Arowanas

another option would be a tetratec filter/heater. The heater is in the filtration system and not in the tank....very very efficient. I have one in my discus tank.

Back
Top Bottom