Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ghost Knife in a shallow tank

Greetings Everyone, I have a big hole in my wall after removing a 135 gallon reef tank that cracked. I am considering getting back to my freshwater roots. I've always been a big fan of the Black Ghost Knife. I would like to create a combination 135 gallon terrarium/aquarium, with an planted Orchid island surrounded by a "stream". This stream could be as deep as 14". Do you think a Ghost Knife could thrive in water this shallow?

Thanks,
Jack

Old 10-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only issue may be the water. They are usually found in fast moving water so if you can duplicate that while also providing dark or dim water and plenty of hiding spaces, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for your reply Andy, how shallow do you think I could go?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrumling View Post
Thanks for your reply Andy, how shallow do you think I could go?
I wouldn't go too shallow. In nature, the fish splits time between the river and the flooded jungle so it can handle both depths. Does it NEED both depths I can't answer. The shallowest tank I've kept them in was 12" but haven't tried them in shallower tanks. I think a lot is going to depend on how you are going to filter that water which will determine how deep it needs to be.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

to feed; this fish needs to be able to stand its whole body length vertical in order for its mouth to sift through the substrate. remember that this fish can grow more than 70cm.

Tags
ghost, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com