Ghost Knife in a shallow tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCrumling

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings Everyone, I have a big hole in my wall after removing a 135 gallon reef tank that cracked. I am considering getting back to my freshwater roots. I've always been a big fan of the Black Ghost Knife. I would like to create a combination 135 gallon terrarium/aquarium, with an planted Orchid island surrounded by a "stream". This stream could be as deep as 14". Do you think a Ghost Knife could thrive in water this shallow?

Thanks,
Jack

The only issue may be the water. They are usually found in fast moving water so if you can duplicate that while also providing dark or dim water and plenty of hiding spaces, it shouldn't be a problem. (y)

Thanks for your reply Andy, how shallow do you think I could go?

Thanks for your reply Andy, how shallow do you think I could go?

I wouldn't go too shallow. In nature, the fish splits time between the river and the flooded jungle so it can handle both depths. Does it NEED both depths I can't answer. :confused: The shallowest tank I've kept them in was 12" but haven't tried them in shallower tanks. I think a lot is going to depend on how you are going to filter that water which will determine how deep it needs to be.

to feed; this fish needs to be able to stand its whole body length vertical in order for its mouth to sift through the substrate. remember that this fish can grow more than 70cm.

Back
Top Bottom