ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak

I want to get some ghost shrimp, how many can I put in my 10g? It currently has 6 zebra danios and 2 cories in it.

They're rather small (unless you get the mutants Madame-X wound up with LOL) and don't add a lot to the bioload; 10 is a good number to start with :) I've 6 cherry shrimp in my 10g, and they look great.

I have 3 ghost shrimp in my 10 gal. They look great in there...I could watch 'em all day! I would say between 5-10 is a great number.

Is your tank planted? Fake plants? Make sure you have a place for them to hide/play.

My ghosties always disappear when I dump them in the 70 gallon... guppy attack!!!!!

I think they get scared to death when about 100 guppies swarm down on them and the loaches come up out of the substrate.

Yeah, get at least 10. Their bioload is negligable, much like small snails. Also you should probably grab another cory or 2 in there. A group of at least 3 is recommended for that size tank.

ROFL. Snap you just made me think of some sort of alien fish invasion swarm, like Aliens or Starship Troopers :p

what else do ghost shrimp need to be happy? Flake food and hiding places? One LFS person told me they could not keep them alive, so they quit selling them.

That's because they don't really take care of them as 'pets' .. most places actually sell them as feeders.

They scavenge. They'll eat algae to some small extent, but mainly eat anything that they can get. They'll eat left over flake, pellets, etc. So they will be competing with your other bottom feeders.

Yep, I got a monster batch of ghost shrimp recently (thanks, Alli!). ;)

The biggest one is well over two inches, and there are a couple more that are getting close to that 2 inch mark as well. We bought them for puffer food, but I put the big monster in my planted tank. The other big ones are now too big for the puffer to consider as food, so they live happily in the tank with no threat.

I don't mind, since they're great at eating the leftover food that the fish don't get.

I have 7 ghost shrimp in my 29 gallon and I find myself watching them more so than my other fish. Three of mine are bigger than some of my small fish, heh. It amuses me when they carry around flakes that are bigger than they are. They make me happy =o)

Back
Top Bottom