Ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HairlessPotter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking about getting some ghost shrimp to help clean up uneaten food. With a mixture of frozen brine shrimp, shrimp pellets, and flakes during feeding it gets kinda messy. I try to clean up as much as I can but was wondering if ghost shrimp would help at all, plus they look kinda cool and are very cheap. Or If they will, will my tiger barbs just try to kill them or would they be ok? Any information would be great

HairlessPotter said:
I was thinking about getting some ghost shrimp to help clean up uneaten food. With a mixture of frozen brine shrimp, shrimp pellets, and flakes during feeding it gets kinda messy. I try to clean up as much as I can but was wondering if ghost shrimp would help at all, plus they look kinda cool and are very cheap. Or If they will, will my tiger barbs just try to kill them or would they be ok? Any information would be great

I just got shrimp for the first time! I LOVE THEM!!! they almost immediately run to fallen food and "take care of it" I don't know if the barbs will bother them... Im not sure.... but ghost shrimp are awesome so hopefully it'll work out for u :)

HairlessPotter said:
Thanks for the help!

Yw ;) hopefully someone has experience with mixing the two and has a more complete answer for u ... I have mine with a betta. He chases them a bit but I think it's working out pretty well

I just read a few things online and it looks like it may not be a good idea... I'll fold and let someone more experienced chime in... Good luck ;)

Sounds to me like you are feeding too much. Extra food just leads to problems, a gravel vacuum will clean up the mess.

I've been feeding a lot less now. But sometimes the fish just make a mess with the shrimp pellets when I put them in for the bichir

id be more worried about the bichir gettin them that the barbs

Ya the bichir is kinda just slow and lazy though. Even if he did start eating them he would just be slowly picking them off one at a time. Before I had the barbs I had a couple ghost shrimp for like 2 days meant to feed the bichir but he couldn't catch any

And about the gravel vacuum, what's a good one to use? I have a siphon thing from walmart but the suction is so weak it won't even pick anything up off the gravel

Bichirs are nocturnal. No matter how quick a fish is...when it's asleep, it's eaten. You bichir probably isn't big enough to eat them yet. I personally love bichirs. Great fish. But be warned, when he grows, he will eat your fish when they sleep.

Oh makes sense. I knew they were nocturnal but never thought about them eating fish while sleeping. Well he's big enough to eat them, a good 5 inches

Haha good! I don't know if I'd chance it but then again. I always encourage people to keep bichirs. Haha love them.

recently set up a 54 l tank and let it run for a week before i added 2 cherry barbs and 2 gold barbs, have been testing for ammonia for 3 days now using nutrafin test kit , colour keeps coming up yellow , on the chart this means 0 ammonia, when should i start to see it rise ? ph is 6.8.

recently set up a 54 l tank and let it run for a week before i added 2 cherry barbs and 2 gold barbs, have been testing for ammonia for 3 days now using nutrafin test kit , colour keeps coming up yellow , on the chart this means 0 ammonia, when should i start to see it rise ? ph is 6.8.
you should have a mod move this to its own thread

Just try it out all fishes aren't the same try have there own personality ghost shrimp are really cheap so buy two or three and just test it out!

Back
Top Bottom