Ghost Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 4 Sarpae Tetras and 2 Sunset Fire Platies and I was wondering if they would try to eat ghost shrimp if i put them in my tank

I have 4 Sarpae Tetras and 2 Sunset Fire Platies and I was wondering if they would try to eat ghost shrimp if i put them in my tank

If it's the size most pet stores get them in at, almost any fish that's an omnivore to carnivore will, and I know a lot of tetras would. Not sure about Sarpae. A full-sized ghost shrimp would be fine. Try to find some bigger than the fish's mouths, and you'd be set.

ThomasG07 said:

I have no experience with shrimp, but I have a school of Serpae that picked apart a rather large apple snail.
They got along for a few weeks, then out of the blue decided the snail was lunch.

bettaowner said:
I don't think the tetras or platies would try to eat your shrimp.

Yeah I agree. Most community fish are omnivores and don't try to eat shrimp. Just watch the serapes though as I'm not sure, since they're known to be nippy.

I have shrimp platys and used to have the same tetras as well. When I got them it was definitely small enough to be picked at, but managed to hold its own, whenever a fish would swim up to it it would jump back and flare its legs around to appear larger. Needless to say thY frightened to fish enough theyd swim away and not bug it anymore. I've now added more shrimp and my original is huge enough nobody bothers him except when he gets brazen enough to steal the food from their mouths lol all in all they are fast little suckers that blend in well so from my experience they do just fine. I've had mine for 7 months

Back
Top Bottom