Ghost Shrimp and African Dwarf frog questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegosh

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone. It has been a couple weeks since I was last on this forum. Since I have started (with the help and guidance of AA) everything is going as planned. Spikes of ammonia and nitrites are over. Just doing PWC every other day.

Right now I have two zebra danios, two albino corys and two male guppies (crazy colors). I also have two ghost shrimp and one african dwarf frog.

This brings me to my first question. I know the ghost shrimp are supposed to shed (for lack of a better term) their shells. I noticed there was what looked to be the back fin (?) of the shrimp floating in the bottom of the tank.

I couldn't see the shrimp because they hide in the broken barrels I have in there. I saw it the other day and both have their tails, one looks a lot smaller than it was before. Both of them used to be at least 1". Now the one is about .75" long and has a new tiny tail fin. I don't know what exactly you call them but I'll call them fins.

Now as far as the frog goes, is it normal for frogs to shed? I have never seen them do this up close before but it looks like a small layer of skin is coming off the african dwarf frog. I saw part floating around in the tank and scooped it out with the net.

He still has a bunch of skin hanging off of him but it looks like his skin underneath is healthy. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Meegosh,

Yes, your ghost shrimp will molt...totally normal. Your ADF will shed his skin too...good questions to ask! Sounds like your tank and its inhabitants are settling in well :)

Thanks for the reply! I figured it was normal but I figured since I was new I should check with someone with more knowledge. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom