Ghost shrimp and pond snail breeder tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Could I get away with a 2.5 gallon tank, air stone, under gravel filter and some low light plants to breed ghost shrimp and pond snails?

easily.i once bred pond snails in a container that couldnt of been more than half a gallon.there are a lot of species of shrimp sold as ghost shrimp,many of which wont breed in freshwater.why are you breeding them?feeders,right?

also,your ghost shrimp might eat your snails,mine have destroyed my snail population.youm might want seperate tanks to breed them in.

Ya feeders for my GSP, well the shrimp are see through and had green eggs in them. What should I put the snails in for optimal breeding? So should I just put all the shrimp in the tank since they won't breed?

the shrimp might breed,depends on the kind.and the snails will be fine in the 2.5.the only reason breeding ghost shrimp is hard,is because most start out as larvae,and even if they dont need brackish water to develop in,they will probably starve to death from lack of micro-organisms,or get eaten by thyere parents.

Goootcha, well the GSP is a juvenile so he needs really small snails now, he's only about 2.5 inches right now.

BfishLpond78 said:
Goootcha, well the GSP is a juvenile so he needs really small snails now, he's only about 2.5 inches right now.

Glad you got your GSP! Yes lfs give out nuisance snails like crazy. They're good. And my ghost shrimp are fed to mine weekly. They're only about a quarter each, so the shrimp aren't worth breeding. Snails are tho!

How many G. Shrimp do you get weekly, I feel he would just eat em all at once...is this true?

BfishLpond78 said:
How many G. Shrimp do you get weekly, I feel he would just eat em all at once...is this true?

Yes. I learned not to put too many in. If you have ample cover for your shrimp, I'd keep one in there at all times, and continue to remove the carcasses. I'd feed one per week.

Back
Top Bottom