Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2005, 11:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to ryans63 Send a message via Yahoo to ryans63
Ghost shrimp-benefits?

I am curious if there are any benefits to keeping ghost shrimp in a 55 gallon community tank, other fish are non-aggressive nature, and i have plants and other places that the small shrimp could find safety in very easily. They wouldn't be food for anything and was wondering if they did any benefits to a tank and would be something to possibly look into having some for that purpose, other then just saying hey look at the ghost shrimp also. I have not found much on them besides the basic things.

Old 11-27-2005, 12:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to nitrous Send a message via MSN to nitrous
they are bottom feaders and clean the bottom of the tank

nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 02:59 AM   #3
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
I think I remember reading that they eat algae off of plants without harming the plants, something like that.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

They aren't very effective algae eaters though they will eat the stuff. IME they are more for viewing pleasure than any effective algae cleanup.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

They do a bit of clean up, but unless you have a TON of them, I don't think they would be as beneficial as you are wanting. But they are cute and fun to watch.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

As I have posted in another post, I am all about fish with great personality and there have only been 3 or 4 fish IMHO that I believe to have a bit or some sort of personality and the ghost shrimp I got are definetly fun. Yours may be different, but so far, I love them all, especially since I have like 5 or 6 in a planted tank.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cherry shrimp make a much better cleanup crew. While they are a bit more expensive (up to $4.00 apiece), they will eat more algae, are more colorful, and will breed like crazy in your tank.

Tags
ghost, ghost shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com