Ghost shrimp-benefits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryans63

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am curious if there are any benefits to keeping ghost shrimp in a 55 gallon community tank, other fish are non-aggressive nature, and i have plants and other places that the small shrimp could find safety in very easily. They wouldn't be food for anything and was wondering if they did any benefits to a tank and would be something to possibly look into having some for that purpose, other then just saying hey look at the ghost shrimp also. I have not found much on them besides the basic things.

I think I remember reading that they eat algae off of plants without harming the plants, something like that.

They aren't very effective algae eaters though they will eat the stuff. IME they are more for viewing pleasure than any effective algae cleanup.

They do a bit of clean up, but unless you have a TON of them, I don't think they would be as beneficial as you are wanting. But they are cute and fun to watch.

As I have posted in another post, I am all about fish with great personality and there have only been 3 or 4 fish IMHO that I believe to have a bit or some sort of personality and the ghost shrimp I got are definetly fun. Yours may be different, but so far, I love them all, especially since I have like 5 or 6 in a planted tank.

Cherry shrimp make a much better cleanup crew. While they are a bit more expensive (up to $4.00 apiece), they will eat more algae, are more colorful, and will breed like crazy in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom