ghost shrimp breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnhartigan

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are since of them breeding, I saw one of the bigger one that keeps putting his or her tail underneath it's stomach and doing some weird stuff lol think she's laying eggs maybe hopefully :p I think would be cool to see IMO any tips to make them breed/help BTW I'm new at this hobby:)

Hi, glad you found us here at AA! I have a 10G as a ghost shrimp breeding tank. Females are much larger than the males. When they are preggers, you can easily tell. They will have a bunch of tiny eggs where there swimmerets are. When they are pregnant with the eggs, it's called being "berried" ghost shrimp baby's are harde to raise bec. They go through a larval stage where it's difficult to feed them. If you wan to raise them, you will nee a very mature tank and some plants. IMO, a dying plant is also a good idea too. The larva eat infusoria (if I'm not mistaken) my GS tank has been set up for about 6 months and I've never seen one of my females not pregnant. With that being said, I've only successfully raised 2 ghost shrimp in those 5 months. If you really want to get into shrimp, you should start with RCS (red cherry shrimp) they are pretty cheap and very hardy. Just PM me if you have any questions:) good luck!!

Forgot to mention, you need to cover up the filter intakes so the the baby's aren't sucked up. You could use filter floss or a prefilter. Oh, I just realised I made alot of SP errors in my last post, sorry! You also don't want any larger fish that can fit them in their mouth:) if up really want to breed them, you should start a shrimp only tank. Everything will eat little shrimplets lol

Thanks for the reply sadly my tank is newly started so if she is pregnant they might not survive but when I saw ghost shrimp I had to have them:p and I'm pretty new at aquarium anything besides reptiles haha if things go well how many shrimp should be in a tank to start spawning and how many can I put in a 20 gallon tank without them walking all over each other and can Cherry shrimp be housed with ghost? And thank you for the welcome!

johnhartigan said:
Thanks for the reply sadly my tank is newly started so if she is pregnant they might not survive but when I saw ghost shrimp I had to have them:p and I'm pretty new at aquarium anything besides reptiles haha if things go well how many shrimp should be in a tank to start spawning and how many can I put in a 20 gallon tank without them walking all over each other and can Cherry shrimp be housed with ghost? And thank you for the welcome!

You should try to get more females than males. For a 20, you could probably do 3 males and 5 females. I've read that ghost shrimp are aggressive twards dwarf shrimp just because GS get pretty big! If your really interested in shrimp, recommend starting a RCS tank. They breed like rabbits and are extremely hardy! Stocking for dwarf shrimp is usually 10 shrimp for every gallon but I'm not sure if that rule applies to ghost shrimp.

Austin.b said:
You should try to get more females than males. For a 20, you could probably do 3 males and 5 females. I've read that ghost shrimp are aggressive twards dwarf shrimp just because GS get pretty big! If your really interested in shrimp, recommend starting a RCS tank. They breed like rabbits and are extremely hardy! Stocking for dwarf shrimp is usually 10 shrimp for every gallon but I'm not sure if that rule applies to ghost shrimp.

Thanks for the info!! Do rcs glow under led moonlight ?

rcs are a better beginner choice from what I understand because the the young hatch as miniature versions of the adults and can do so in fully fresh water where as ghost shrimp go through a free swimming larval stage and if I'm not mistaken aren't even able to be hatched unless kept in brackish water

manbeast said:
rcs are a better beginner choice from what I understand because the the young hatch as miniature versions of the adults and can do so in fully fresh water where as ghost shrimp go through a free swimming larval stage and if I'm not mistaken aren't even able to be hatched unless kept in brackish water

+1 although I've had about 3 hatch and I'm currently raising them now. My tank has never been brackish, nor will It ever be:) but if it was brackish, I'm sure I would have much much more by now. it's amano shrimp that Need brackish water to breed:)

Austin.b said:
+1 although I've had about 3 hatch and I'm currently raising them now. My tank has never been brackish, nor will It ever be:) but if it was brackish, I'm sure I would have much much more by now. it's amano shrimp that Need brackish water to breed:)

Thanks for the advice guys keep it coming:)

johnhartigan said:
Here's my cave Austin look good?

Definitely!!!good job:) Have you though about covering the Mason jar in moss? Really any amount of light will support moss. All you have to do is tie moss around the top of it, and then just sit back and watch. It will automatically attach it self to the jar in about a month or two:) soon the moss will cover it and it will look awesome!

Austin.b said:
Definitely!!!good job:) Have you though about covering the Mason jar in moss? Really any amount of light will support moss. All you have to do is tie moss around the top of it, and then just sit back and watch. It will automatically attach it self to the jar in about a month or two:) soon the moss will cover it and it will look awesome!

Might try it out a little moss tunnel what are moss balls for? Jw

johnhartigan said:
Might try it out a little moss tunnel what are moss balls for? Jw

Oh ok:) moss balls are purely for decoration. Theyre actually a type of algea that grows extremely slowly, you wouldn't believe it. Some say that they use up extra nutrients in the water, but IMO they don't because they grow too slowly. A lot of people hate them because they can get sucked into the filter, it can have a build up of detritus or other junk, and get messy? I'm not too sure, I've never had a problem with mine. I just like the look of it so it's just 'there' lol oh, people also dislike it because it moves around a lot but I've never had this problem. You could try it for ghost shrimp breeding because shrimp like to graze on it. I hope this wasn't going off topic too much:)

I agree with the comments above about Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS) as a good beginner breeding choice. To put into perspective I have owned 10 RCS for a little over one week and one has already got eggs! Though good luck with what ever you choose to breed if you do =D

Austin.b said:
Oh ok:) moss balls are purely for decoration. Theyre actually a type of algea that grows extremely slowly, you wouldn't believe it. Some say that they use up extra nutrients in the water, but IMO they don't because they grow too slowly. A lot of people hate them because they can get sucked into the filter, it can have a build up of detritus or other junk, and get messy? I'm not too sure, I've never had a problem with mine. I just like the look of it so it's just 'there' lol oh, people also dislike it because it moves around a lot but I've never had this problem. You could try it for ghost shrimp breeding because shrimp like to graze on it. I hope this wasn't going off topic too much:)

Oh thanks for you input I've seen them a lot and never knew what they are lol:p

Back
Top Bottom