ghost shrimp cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
today i bought 6 ghost shrimp one of them is a cloudy blue colour is that normal

ive seen sights that say there going to die when its like that, but IME,it just means there about to moult.

+1 for the molt. Mine seem to turn a bright red before they die. I would just keep an eye on it over the next day or two..

GoneFishing said:
+1 for the molt. Mine seem to turn a bright red before they die. I would just keep an eye on it over the next day or two..

+1 for that, both my amanos and my ghosties get a blueish hue before a molting.

and some of them have antennas and some look like theirs have been pulled of or fallen off, do they grow back or are they done for?

Last edited:
tmdavies said:
and some of them have antennas and some look like theirs have been pulled of or fallen off, do they grow back or are they done for?

What fish are in this tank...?

1hill stream loach 8 zebra danios and 3 common goldfish i looked over the shrimp when i put them in some of them are fine one has little to no antennas iv been watching them for a few hours now my goldfish were interested at first but there to small to eat them now they just ignore them, they arnt interested

tmdavies said:
1hill stream loach 8 zebra danios and 3 common goldfish i looked over the shrimp when i put them in some of them are fine one has little to no antennas iv been watching them for a few hours now my goldfish were interested at first but there to small to eat them now they just ignore them, they arnt interested

Goldfish can get rather...dominant, especially with limited space.
Typically they require 20 gallons minimum for the first, and 10 gallons for each additional, so I hope you have a tank around 50 gallons.
The goldfish, or the danios may be harassing the shrimp and biting things they can get, like antenna legs...

its 63 gallons and there pretty small goldfish, will the antennas grow back

tmdavies said:
its 63 gallons and there pretty small goldfish, will the antennas grow back

If they are left alone they may. Is your tank planted? Do the shrimp have hiding places? That will certainly help them out!

No problem. See if a few terra-cotta pots turned on their side for small caves will give them a little more security and help. Or rock caves, whatever floats your boat ;)
It's also great to know that you have such a large tank and seem to care about all of your critters!

these are my first shrimp im not very experienced with them are they active at night or do they calm down, at the moment a couple seem to be quite active but the rest are just sitting still moving every so often.
is this because its late or could my c02 be having an affect on them, i read that it can slow them down. They did seem fine when i first put them in around 3 o clock now it is nine forty

Co2 has been said to have a tranquilizing effect, but nothing I have seen tht is noteworthy
Mine are much more nocturnal it see seems

maybe there just a bit stressed from moving tank might give them some prime

Back
Top Bottom