ghost shrimp eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deli_conker

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my ghost shrimp has several (about 20) green balls in it's underside. They've been there ever since I got it. Are these eggs?

I had one like that, I looked for babies every day. Then one day they were gone no where to be found. I think they got ate. It was very anticlimactic.

They're not gone. They've hatched! But they're so tiny that you either don't see them or they get sucked up into the filter. If you have small fish in the tank, the shrimp larvae would be live food.

Yes, they're eggs!

Is there a way you can stop the filter from sucking them up? :)

yup they would be eggs but most likely they will get eaten I have yet to have a baby one. Instead I just bough a bunch more. :twisted:

ive heard of someone breeding ghost shrimp. they lived in florida in the marshes and they said they just swept a net through the grass and had tons of ghost shrimp. they said they put it in 10 gallons and let them stay in there. i think he said they bred 2

You can get some breeding grass at Walmart in the fish dept. Its just a small square of plastic "grass" and it works great for baby shrimp. Once you notice the Mother shrimp has eggs, segregate her from the main tank. One of those tiny 1 gallon critter tanks at Walmart will work great. Put her in the tank with the breeding grass in the bottom of the tank and wait for her to lay the eggs. Once she does, remove her from the small tank. She will probably die soon afterward. The babies are SMALL!!!!!!! The rest of your fish in the main tank will eat them most likely, so try to keep them seperated untill they are grown. Not sure what to feed them....newly hatched brine shrimp would be my best guess.

Back
Top Bottom