Ghost Shrimp killing each other?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UTcolorchangn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 2.5 gallon tank right now with a black phantom tetra, bleeding heart tetra, and formerly 11 ghost shrimp. I just tested my water and ammonia was 0, and the nitrates were just above 5.

The tank has been running for about a month now, no problems until now. I used to have 11 ghost shrimp. For the past 5 days or so one ghost shrimp has been dying every day. I'm now down to 6 ghost shrimp. I don't think it's the water conditions that are killing them, could they be killing each other?

I usually see one of the shrimp eating on the dead shrimp, but there is plenty of food for them to eat on the gravel. Do ghost shrimp show agression to each other?

I'd appreciate any info anybody has, thanks!

I very much doubt they are killing eachother, at most they will spar for a bit. I don't think their pinchers can do much besides pick things up. Either way, 11 ghost shrimp in a 2.5 gallon tank sounds like a lot. What sort of filtration do you have?

Ya, 11 was alot, I didn't really plan on getting that many. I was planning on getting around 6 or so, which interestingly enough is how many I have now. I'm just wondering why they're dying though. There is enough food for them to eat, I can see some fish food on the gravel. The water conditions are fine (ammonia 0, nitrate 5) so I don't think they're dying because of that.

The filtration I'm using now is the pump that came with the tank. It's a Whisper brand filter, not sure what model number. It seems to be doing fine, no problems with it so far and the water looks great.

I should mention that I plan on upgrading to a 6 gallon when I get back from Christmas break.

So anyone got an idea of why my shrimp are dying? I don't want anymore to die.

How long ago did you get them? I once bought a dozen and 3 or so died within a day or so while the rest lived on for a month or so until the cat finally found them.

When you upgrade, why a 6 gallon? A 10 would be way better (or ideally something like a 20long), and probably not cost much more to set up and there is so much more you

Get some reef iodine. Add one drop per 5gal. It helps them molt. Without it, they turn white and die. If you have soft water, it would help to add a liquid calcium supplement.

Kim

Not sure if this would be an explanation for your shrimps death, but I have had some shrimp in a tank with a few guppies. The guppies kind of picked at the shrimps, I found some dead shrimp bodies and the guppies kinda picking at the dead ones. This is only a guess, but maybe the fish are slowly picking at the shrimps untill they stress out and die, or that while they are molting (this is when they are most vulnerable) the fish attack and get a good shot in and *bam* dead shrimp. Only a guess.

Cheers :)

LittlePuff said:
Get some reef iodine. Add one drop per 5gal. It helps them molt. Without it, they turn white and die. If you have soft water, it would help to add a liquid calcium supplement.

Kim

I think that might be the problem. Last night I had two more shrimp die. When I find them they are white, not clear like they used to be. I will get some reef iodine as soon as I can, the only problem is that that might be a couple of days. Hopefully the remaining shrimp make it.

Back
Top Bottom