Ghost Shrimp with Bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put three small ghost shrimp in my 5 gal betta tank. And my betta left them alone, he would get ticked off at them sometimes, but did not bug them. Then after they were in there a month he ate them. I thought he was going to die, he had the antae hanging out of his mouth for an hour.

Lori, let us know how the betta and ghost shrimp get along! I went back to the hatchery last week to get some ghost shrimp for my betta tanks, but they were out, so I'll have to wait! I did get some java moss.

Ok, so here's the deal. I came into work this morning....one of the ghost shrimp is perfectly fine! Still swimming around, happy as can be! The other one, unfirtunately, jumped out of the tank and commited suicide. This is my fault, as I forgot the put the top back on before I left :cry:

Ok, so all in all, I think if he hadn't jumped out of the tank, both of them would still be fine. Even today I saw the shrimp swim right in front of the betta with no problem. I think it all depends on the betta. The girl from work who got me the shrimp can't keep any in her betta tank cause her betta eats them.

Just "test the waters" before you add a whole lot of shrimp.

Awww...sorry about the one ghost shrimp, Lori. I hope the other one does well! I'm still waiting for the hatchery to call me when they get some ghost shrimp in. Did you try to identify the sex of the shrimp or not? Or isn't this really possible, unless you can see eggs attached to the female?

The other shrimp is still doing exremely well! The only way I know of to sex the shrimp is by the eggs...but I am not sure this is the only way.

Back
Top Bottom