Ghost Tube????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slarty Bartfast

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just bought an Elephant Nose, he seems to be doing well. Question though, some sites recommend a "ghost tube" a sort of clear tube to facilitate viewing him during the day. Anyone know what the heck this is/where to get one?

Thanks in advance!

edit: Just found it on bigals, called a ghost house..... Cheers!

That or look into hamster or gerbil play houses. Often they have clear tubes used for their housing and you can buy attachments for them from pet stores.

You can also go to the home decorating section of Wal-Mart or wherever and they have a big glass tube that you put dried up fruit and things in and it is open oon both ends and they are cheap like maybe $5.00 CDN. I used this for a BGK and it worked fine
HTH

i had one for my ghost knife and he loves it. it is just a pecie of clear pvc pipe with little legs siliconed on. just look for any type of clear plastic tube like maybe the containers staws or swivle sticks come in and that will work just fine. or even a tall drinking glass will work. they think they are hiding in it lol so u can watch them and they still feel safe. mine used to lye upside down in a big bunch of live plants i had on one side of the tank. he completyl ignored it till i got rid of the plant. i swear i had to poke him 3 times a day to see if he was still alive lol.

most fish use an echoe location system to bounce signals off objects to know wether or not they are hidden in caves, this is why the ghost cave is so effective, it makes them feel safe but allows us to view them, or so one article I read claimed

Yeah I had a Black Ghost Fish for about 4 years and while I didnt use the clear tubes I got a ceramic and he loved it. Only came out to take food from my hand.

Ghost knives actually generate a weak electric field, something like echo location, but w/out using sound. For unknown reasons, they generate a different signal after a few weeks in an aquarium, compared to their natural environment. This is probably why they don't breed in aquariums.

During our dairy days, we came upon some 1 1/2" glass pipeline and parts..... elbows and tee's. After reading about this so'called radar thing, I though I'd try it to calm our cat, that 'crazies' around the tank, only stopping in his hiding place where we can't see him.

I set up two of these 't' & elbow tubes that the fish use to play in, but the cats, nor Pete the pleco will rest in them. Perhaps they are too far foward in the tank, or there's too much activety.
Either way, it's fun to watch the sharks frolic through them......or grin while a gourami tries to turn around half way through the maze.

Dave

How long is that peice? I need somthing about 12' long. I might be able to get a few shipped.... they look cool ! IME i've seen small fish that go limp as they are eating at the bloodworm feeder, they soon learn to not be in the same space as the BGK, funny to watch.! :)

There are two pieces that make the tube in the pic. First a 't' that lies against the tank front. [The cross of the T is parallel to the glass front of tank. ] Then an elbow is set @ the end of the T. The turn in the elbow goes vertically. The pieces only lay against each other and are not glued or locked together. A large fish might be able to knock the elbow down. It just sits a bit into the gravel.

The pic shows the set up. There is another T & elbow just like it on the right side of the tank.

Do you need a piece 12' or 12"? I have a section or two of the long lengths...10', I'm guessing. I don't know if they could be cut into shorter sections. They are Pyrex [sp]

I would think that glass blower could make some pretty neat ornaments, caves, undergravel hideaways for cats, etc.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom