Giant Pacu needs home near CT. (surprise)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhetor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

Well, my pacu grew to immense sizes, as to be expected.

We got him small, for our 55.

He's now in a 125g and is WAY too big. He's almost 2ft long!

Although he's great as a trash compactor, the tank needs constant vacuuming and cleaning, and our entire living room is a splash zone. Somehow he has mastered the art of spitting at my dad across the room too.

Does anyone know what to do with a giant fish like this? I want to eat him but my dad is emotionally attached. Who woulda guessed, huh?

Anywho, i live in Newtown, CT. I called the Maritime Center in Norwalk about a year ago, but they said their amazon exhibit was already full.

My dad wants an outdoor tropical fish pond, but heating that sucker to 60+ in the winter is $$$!

hmm, dont really agree with eating it, that just sounds kinda cruel to me. Any aquariums in your area that might take it. If not, i say get it a bigger tank, or take it to your LFS, then its their problem :p

You could put an ad in the classifieds. As for the LFS, I'd doubt they'd take a 2ft pacu.

it's not recommended to eat aquarium fish, due to the chemicals we put in the water. i can't imagine it would be very tasty, either.

i tried to find a thread at aquariacentral titled "had to euthanize the pacu's this weekened" but i guess it was removed. anyways it was a really depressing article, this guy got pacus the size of teacups, and before long had bought several tanks to house them.

this fish splashed huge amounts of water each day, and when the guy finally killed them, onw of them took his TV out with him. what made the article sad was, they kept growing, and all the LFS refused to take them.

i would seriously consider finding a friend down south with a big pond, or have him shipped to the amazon

this is why pacu's should be illegal in home aquariums, i really hope you can find him a home

Why dont you try over at Monsterfishkeepers.com

My LFS has a 400 gal with four red bellies. they are adorable.

The Exotic Pet's store in East Hartford has a 1500 gallon tank and they have a few Pacu's brought in that are 2' - 3' long. They will take him without question.

Exotic Fin & Feather Pet Shop
Phone: 860-569-0200
824 Silver Ln
East Hartford CT 06118

Their web site http://exoticpet.com/

I'm rooting for that pacu, and how wonderful that there are some options for him. Fingers and fins crossed over here.

Nice work, cabezon and Michael.

GO PACU!

Great!

Thanks for the help. I'll have to give that LFS a call.

He's more like a family dog than a fish at this point. He also enjoys 50 micron filtered water at 1000gph turnover rate.

I've been to that store! East Hartford is my hometown. Silver lane exit off of 84 and head east. Of course it has been about 10 years since I've been.

The place we got him would probably have taken him, but they shut down last year.

The Life Gallery in Fairfield CT. That place was SWEET.

The Fish will be a success story somehow. I'm just not sure how yet.

How much would it be to airmail a big fish? hehe

A guy from Monsterfishkeepers.com is coming tomorrow to take him!

Farewell big fish!

That is fantastic-I'm so happy for everybody.

Now, rhetor, your job is to work toward legislation to have pacu (pacus?) made illegal to sell in the US. This is your mission.

I'm glad the pacu got a better home. As a side note, I wonder if the local zoo would take in large fish? Do you get visitation rights at his/her new digs?

I will miss him, but getting a chance to actually landscape a 125g is AWESOME!

So many possiblities now!

A guy named Glenn came and picked him up, we both got soaking wet, but the fish seems to be happy. I'll have to check in on him in a few days to see how he is.

My Jag and JD feel liberated now too. Its weird how a massive Pacu can force two incredibly aggressive and intollerant fish to be best friends.

Back
Top Bottom