Gingi???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was cleaning out my closet when I found a box that said Gingi. Facial Water Filter and below it: Micro-hydromolecule Water Filter System. I opened the box and found one of those cyclinder shaped water filters that attached to the sink faucet. On the water system it said Calcium Sulfite. I'm guessing the thing uses it somehow. I googled the water system and found it the site. http://202.94.100.36/Web/Gingi/default.asp#1 That is the site. It said it removes chlorine and heavy metals. It also said it softens the water. I'm just wondering if I could use it for a water change whenever I need soft water. Could I? Oh and about the Calcium Sulfite would it be harmful to fish?

To get a better responce from this you may want to post this in the Freshwater General forum.

Moved as requested!

I never heard of this product, but looking at the website, I would be hesitant to use it to prepare water for a tank. I googled calcium sulfite and one website says it is a preservative and disinfectant, neither of which are necessary in your tank.

http://www.fasthealth.com/dictionary/c/calcium_sulfite.php

The other component of this water system is a copper-zinc granule. You don't want copper in your tank either.

This system seems like a spa-type skin treatment. I don't think I would use it to prepare water for an aquarium. If your tapwater is very hard, you could mix tapwater and RO water. My grocery store has an RO machine.

I think my mom got this as a gift, but since she didn't use it I thought it could be of some use to me, but guess not. My tapwater is 7.4 to 7.8. Is that considered very hard? I haven't tested my tap for a while and I guess the Ph went up for some reason. I wanted to try my hands at Dicus, but with my water I probably shouldn't. Unless I mixed tapwater with RO water, like you said.

7.4 is considered neutral, and 7.8 is pretty much normal unless you want like discus or something

Discus..
check out this page in the Discus discussion thread...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=52048&start=160

In other words you really dont need to wory about your PH and KH unless your going to try to spawn the fish.. the fertilization of the eggs is impossible in hard water.. but as far as raising discus its not nessisary.. If you do end up having a spawning pair then get yourself a RO/DI filter off of e-bay and youll be set.. Discus are expensive fish and the young are worth a small fortune the RO/DI would be a small investment in the long run.. The $$$ should not be a reason to get into discus, I love the fish personaly and would be estatic just to have full grown healthy Discus, that I personaly raised, much less have them spawn and reproduce! check out the entire discus discussion thread and if I didnt ask your question go ahead and ask it!
BrianNY is great about sharing his experiance! BrianNY ROCKS!!!! :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

It does seem like a nice gift for taking care of your skin! I don't think it's appropriate for tank use, though. You could PM BrianNY about the pH necessary to keep discus. If I remember some of his other replies correctly, discus are fine in water with a 7.4 or so pH value.

Have you checked your tap pH recently? Pour a glass of water and let it sit about 12 hours (called "aging") and then test. My pH out of the tap is 8.2, and after aging, it's 7.8. When I mix up a gallon of water for a water change, I mix about 1/3 RO water to 2/3 tap water. I have live plants, so I don't want to use too much RO water; the plants need some of the alkalinity that the tap water provides.

If your pH is rising in the tank, did you add any new decor, rocks, or gravel lately?

Oh, no my Ph isn't rising. Just seems like the tap is higher than I remebered. Need to find where I recorded all the Ph tests. Right now I only have found one test result where it says my 10 gallon is around the ph of 6.8-7.0. That is my planted tank though and I use Co2 so that may be the reason why. I've remebered my tapwater to around 7.2, but it's possible for the tap water to increase in ph right? I would get a R.O unit if I decided to raise and breed Discus, but I've seen that the prices on the units can be pretty high and I don't think I can convince my parents to let me buy it. An t-asg I'll try aging my tap water and see if there is any change.

TDS is the measurement used for discus and ph is relitive to it... KH is a indicator of how much is disoved in your water but it only measures calcium carbonate hardness...
As far as how expensive RO is e-bay has great prices.. the RO's that are sold for kitchen use is still produsing RO water if that makes any sence..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4393768167&category=20684
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4393765608&category=20684

btw.. my tapwater peramiters are in my sig and BrianNY told me I could keep and raise Disus in my water.. it sounds like yours might be softer then mine.. My PH after the water has set out is 8

I already had some water aged just in case there was an emergency or something similar so I tested the water. From the high range ph indicator test I got 7.4. On the Ph indicator that reads up to 7.6, I got 7.2 - 7.6. The coloring doesn't help. I want to go and buy a discus, but my parents doubt I can keep it alive and the cost of the fish is another factor.

Test color charts can be hard to read and take some practice. It sounds like you're using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (Doc Wellfish) brand. I could not read that chart at all. I just returned it. I like the Wardley brand of pH test kit. It's easier to read, and they have a low-range and high-range kit too. I have them both -- I test the tap water periodically with the high-range, and the tank water and tap/RO mix with the low-range kit.

Toirtis recomended Red Sea and Hagan testkits for readablity..
It doesnt sound like your PH is a problem to me.. if you could get a TDS reading it would be more important but only when trying to get the discus eggs fertilized.. Staible PH is more important then perfect PH and good clean water is more important for keeping discus.. Lots of water changes is better then perfect PH..
The Gingi really doesnt sound like a good idea.. for reasons stated already..

Back
Top Bottom