Giving up on GBRs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This may sound like a really stupid question, and I'm sorry if this kinda jacks the thread. >.< But what does TDS stand for? Isn't it total dissolved stuff, or something like that? How does it affect the hardness of the water?

Yep, TDS is total dissolved solids. It's a measure of all dissolved compounds in the water. Hardness can refer to one of two things. General hardness, which is a measure of calcium and magnesium ions in the water, and carbonate hardness, which measures carbonate and bicarbonate ions. Both add towards TDS, but TDS includes many other things, such as metals, salts, and even ammonia/nitrate. GBRs originally come from environments with low TDS, which is why I mentioned it.

--Adeeb

Can you test your ppm with one of those machine things ( oh I don't know the name of it) but they sell them at fosters pet store? And just go by ppm or you must know kh and dh ?

Well this was the third time I've tried to keep a GBR. He'd been doing great for a month, eating well and coloring up. I fed him just yesterday, and there was no abnormal behavior. Come home today and he's dead. Same as the previous two. I guess GBRs and my water just aren't meant to be....

--Adeeb
I second that. Of the four I have tried, none have lived much longer than a month. :( Same with golds. I've had a bolivian for several months now though that is still going strong. :D

When you say acting strange? Can you describe? I keep them and want to be on the lookout for weird behaviour, so any experience helps.

Beautiful rams , I think when it comes to rams it depends if you got a good colorful pair in the first place.

i totally agree that if you can get good stock it makes everything better. i got my rams at that fish place /that pet place in lancaster, pa. it's a great store with very healthy fish. i got all my fish there and haven't lost any. they actually mark their aquariums with the date that the fish come to them. that way you can let them do the qt period for you. i only buy fish that have been ther at least 3 weeks. i don't have a personal qt tank so this really makes me feel a lot safer than buying at a chain store. when i bought my rams they had been there for a month. they weren't very colorful when they were young but i've had them for about 11 months now and they really have beautiful color i think. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom