Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2003, 04:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to BondStreet
Glass Cat advice

Hi There...

I just bought 8 glass cats from my lfs for my 75 gall. planted, community tank. My water is great. However, one of the cats already died. I have other community fish in the tank already. All peaceful. However, the glass cats aren't eating. I tried flakes and bloodworms. Do you think it is just an adjustment problem for now? I just don't want them to starve!

Thanks for any advice...

Bondstreet

Old 03-28-2003, 01:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nejsux
Glass cats tend to be a bit flakey when introduced into new surroundings. Try to make sure they have enough food, because they usually wont acctually come up to eat, but just grab whatever falls in fron t of their faces. You could try enticing them to eat with live bloodworms, blackworms, or brine shrimp.

Old 04-08-2003, 10:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

chicken

I have two glass cats in my 33 gallon community tank. I had the same problem until I found out they are very shy. You need to have lots of good hiding place for them. They will usually just sit in hiding and rarely be seen. They do school together, 8 might be a bit much due to the fact that they get quite large.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to zephyr
I would agree with nejsux and something_fishy, they take a while to acculamate. I'm sorry but i dont have any suggestions.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to StarrKill
n00b here. exactly what is a glass cat? btw, i haven't been to my LFS in quite a long time, so i am kinda out of practice about identifying fishies. thanks.
_Stephanie___The Road to nowhere leads to me....*Ozzy Osbourne* I don't know if I'm real without you, What is left of me without you?, I don't know whats real without you, How can I exist without you? *Stabbing Westward*
StarrKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Glass cat is a transparent catfish, you can see its insides/skeleton etc. Very quiet, don't do much, but interesting to look at.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

COOL!!! Must get one (or more) of these....are they fresh or saltwater? Cost? Where to buy? Conditions? Temperament? Thanks.....
_Stephanie___The Road to nowhere leads to me....*Ozzy Osbourne* I don't know if I'm real without you, What is left of me without you?, I don't know whats real without you, How can I exist without you? *Stabbing Westward*
Old 04-27-2003, 02:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I saw some tonight at petsmart, and they are indeed very cool to look at. My mom pointed them out and i said, "where", "i dont see them". finally i spotted their spines and then saw the whole school. it was really cool.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you like transparent fish there are a few kinds. I've seen x-ray tetras in the local shop - about the same size and shape as a black phantom tetra, but see-through.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

sounds pretty cool.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Vicshaw Send a message via MSN to Vicshaw
starkill I dont think you should get a glass cat. It seems to me you don't know a lot about them.You'd be best to find out about them first-I didn't mean to sound offensive!
Old 05-01-2003, 01:32 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

no, you werent sounding offensive. you are right i dont know much about them. just learned about them from this board actually. i doubt i would run out and buy one just because. im an impulsive buyer, but not when it comes to living things. hehe. anyway, i already got a lecture about my post. so, anyway, yeah, the glass cats will come later. but thanks for your opinion. glad you are letting me know they arent beginners fish.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:34 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I put a post in here! Has it been moved or somthing?
Old 05-01-2003, 12:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

oopsy sorry i din't see the 2nd page!

Tags
glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com