Glass catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would wait a couple more weeks. This should give your tank enough time to get some nitrifying bacteria.

Agree, the key for a good healthy and awesome tank is patience xD don't rush into it, the pet shop isn't going anywhere and nor is your tank. Let the cycle complete, you can add in a few hardy fish to help things going, then slowly add in the fish, not all at once or there will be a spike in the parameters and death! =(

Well, after all these months, here's my new stock:

6 neon tetras
5 cherry barbs
3 guppies
1 Pleco

The fish are looking great, no deaths for months. Would it be overstocking to add the catfish now?

I don't know why everyone is saying glass cats will be comfy in a 20 gallon, they are a schooling fish and get around 4" long.

The best size school is 10 fish and they do better on frozen foods as opposed to flake. Once they are established, they pretty well stay in one spot hovering over or around a plant. Their mouths are small so frozen foods should be cut to mouth size.

I am sure you will get replies from people stating...I had 3 glass cats in a 20 gallon...bla, bla bla. If you want to be a responsible fish owner, they should be in 55 gallon and up for optimal health and happiness.

Not sure what kind of Pleco, just know that it's not a common Pleco. I would have some frozen food for them, because the fish in my 55 gallon tank eat meat. The tank has a lid that goes all the way around the surface, so they wouldn't jump out. Are you sure they wouldn't be fine in a school of 5?

Well, I made up my mind. About 98% of the people I've talked to, most of them actually owning glass catfish and are experts, say that they would be great in my tank. I am now about 5 minutes away from letting 5 of them out of their bag.

One of the catfish was I'll when we got it, and it didn't last the night. However, I could not find the body for a while. Unfortunately, one of the cherry barbs consumed part of the body before we found it, and he developed neon tetra disease. He didn't last a full day of the illness. Is there anything I can do to prevent the illness from killing off the whole tank. Also, one of my tetra's bellies grew huge, and filled with little brown dots. Is this a symptom of neon tetra disease, or is she laying eggs?

I don't know why everyone is saying glass cats will be comfy in a 20 gallon, they are a schooling fish and get around 4" long.

The best size school is 10 fish and they do better on frozen foods as opposed to flake. Once they are established, they pretty well stay in one spot hovering over or around a plant. Their mouths are small so frozen foods should be cut to mouth size.

I am sure you will get replies from people stating...I had 3 glass cats in a 20 gallon...bla, bla bla. If you want to be a responsible fish owner, they should be in 55 gallon and up for optimal health and happiness.

+1 on your reply, i kept a large group of these guy's in my 53 gallon a few years ago loved them! Two of the group grew to 5 inches so I would recommend a bigger tank. I also had floating plants for them as they didn't like bright lights. And fed live and frozen bait they did eat flake but it was rare.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, I just found the neon tetra with the big belly floating at the surface with a huge rip in her belly. I guess it was the disease, not eggs.

Back
Top Bottom