Glass catfish and live plant lighting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mataichi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently put 5 glass catfish in a tank with live plants and a single bulb floresent light. The catfish hide out near the bottom of the tank when the light is on but will swim around when it's off. If I don't ever have the light on the fish might be happier but the plants will eventually die. Is there a light or a filter for the light I have that would make both fish and plants happy?

you can try keeping light on at day for plants and have it off at night cuz the glass catfish is nocturnil

Floating plants like frogbit or dwarf water lettuce would provide some cover for them. Some taller, bushier plants might help too, particularly if growth is not very dense in your tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. I added some hornwort from one of my other tanks a few days ago. It wasn't a big piece but that stuff grows really fast so it will be covering much of the top of the tank in no time and will still allow enough light for the other plants in the tank.

Mine like to hide in the leaves of my Amazon sword. They don't seem stressed by the light that way

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The addition of floating plants should help. Make the tank densely planted, and increase their numbers.

Most of them have a favorite area near the back of the tank where they like to hang out but there is one loner who is usually anywhere but with the rest of them. They all like the cover from the hornwort.

Have a day cycle for the plants, when the lights go off the cats come out.
It is not a problem for the fish, mine are still healthy and happy.

Don't worry, they will be fine!

I added a cave (med/lrg) to my tank and my glass cats hang out in there swimming in a group during the day cycle of my lights.

Back
Top Bottom