Glass catfish - any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dunder-head

Aquarium Advice Regular
Love the look of some glass catfish, do they have any special needs? Basically just looking for some information on them and how easy they are to keep :D

Cheers!

I just saw one of these last night. From what little I've read they like to school together in small groups, and no-one has managed to breed them in captivity yet.

They like to be in groups, they are very sedate and shy. Keep them with slow moving non aggressive tankmates and they will very well. I loved mine, I have to get some again one day.

dskidmore said:
I just saw one of these last night. From what little I've read they like to school together in small groups, and no-one has managed to breed them in captivity yet.

Do you mean fish keepers have struggled to breed them or ones for sale will have been caught from the wild as they can not have been bred in captivity?

Both. Fish keepers have not discovered how to breed them. They are all wild caught. Lots of fish are all wild caught, it's a tradeoff of our hobby. Best we can do is contribute to the effort to try to breed the more difficult species, share our observations and sucesses.

off topic > One of these days I need to actually conduct my tidal zone breeder experiment...

Anyone know what they are like with african dwarf frogs? Or mollies? Anything i was thinking in putting is quite slow moving, bar the mollies. Thanks :D

They are very shy and do best in schools of 6 or more. They grow to atleast 3" so should be kept in 29 gals as a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom