Glass Catfish...not eating/hiding normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoppingtetra30

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all. I just picked up 5 Glass Catfish for my tank and I'm just wondering if their odd behavior is normal...

I put them in yesterday...almost 24 hours ago...and they have pretty much been in hiding since. They are actually near impossible to find, I can only see three of them at any given time, they hide in amongst the rocks and the heavily planted areas in the back. They dont seem to be showing any interest in eating. I did notice however, that they were all out roaming around before the lights came on this morning.

Will they eventually come out and be more social in the day time and take some food?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine did that for a while, then he became active, I wouldn't worry about it too much

One has been poking around the tank a bit today but has gone back into hiding. I hope they at least come out to eat soon...

I read this about them: The Ghost Glass Cat does not like a lot of light and in brightly illuminated aquariums, it will usually hide from the light. However, they will come into the open and swim around in darkness or low light conditions. Ghost Glass Cats should be kept in aquariums with plenty of rocky coves and hiding places, as well as dense, live vegetation.

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Ghost Glass Cat

They are just a naturally shy species. Provide lots of cover and you will see them more.

Caleb

They still haven't really come out at all...Im worried the tank may be too bright. I cant lower my lighting because I need it for the plants. There is a ton of plants and rocky areas for them to hide, but they need to eat.

2 of them came out for a second during the second feeding time yesterday, but they wouldnt come up for food and just went right back to their cave.

How long can they go without food? It doesnt look like they are going to come out again today....

Feed them after lights out. People do this for shy pleco's and other fish all the time.

Caleb

Feed them after lights out. People do this for shy pleco's and other fish all the time.

Caleb

They didnt come out last night after the lights were off...at least not while I was awake, and they were still hiding this morning when I got up. If they dont come out they wont see the food...

They didnt come out last night after the lights were off...at least not while I was awake, and they were still hiding this morning when I got up. If they dont come out they wont see the food...

If you are absolutely sure that won't work then I would take a step back. They must feel threatened by something in the tank. Even when I had a really shy pleco he would come out for food. What is your stock?

Caleb

If you are absolutely sure that won't work then I would take a step back. They must feel threatened by something in the tank. Even when I had a really shy pleco he would come out for food. What is your stock?

Caleb

All thats in there right now with the 5 Glass Catfish is 5 Red Zebra Danios, 5 Lemon Tetra, 2 SAE, and 2 Oto's.

I just did brine shrimp for the second feeding today and they all shot out and swarmed it, stayed out for about 5 minutes, then went back into hiding. Hopefully that means they are acclimating...still think the lighting might be too bright?

That's good they came out to eat. They are getting used to the tank. My ropefish hid for almost a month and I had to feed him from his hiding spot. 4 months later he takes the occasional free swim around the tank and hangs out under the driftwood front and center of the tank.

Caleb

Just an update....it has been a week now and 3 of the cats come out for every feeding and hang out with the other fish for a bit before going back into hiding. One sits in his cave and refuses to come out...I think I may have seen him grab some brine shrimp off the ground a few times so I thin he has gotten at least SOME food. Another seems to be MIA...I haven't seen more than 4 of them at any given time in a few days. I dont know where he could be hiding, or if something happened to it...sucks not knowing.

What could happen too it??? I still haven't seen it today, how does a fish just completely disappear?

I dont think the other small fish in the tank would eat it or anything would they?

Well, one is definitely gone. I just re-arranged the tank so they have more places to go...in doing so it should have come out at some point. Now with the lights off I can see the 4 swimming around.

Could it have maybe died from stress or something and the other fish ate it? There is no trace of it...

Well, one is definitely gone. I just re-arranged the tank so they have more places to go...in doing so it should have come out at some point. Now with the lights off I can see the 4 swimming around.

Could it have maybe died from stress or something and the other fish ate it? There is no trace of it...

Maybe it escaped. I had a Raphael cat recently that I was going to sell and it up and disappeared one day. No trace of it whatsoever.

Caleb

Something as small as a glass cat could be eaten by anything really. You're raphael is probably hiding somewhere Caleb. I've had mine around 6 weeks and I have only seen him out twice. I know where he hides though is the only reason I know he's still alive

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Something as small as a glass cat could be eaten by anything really. You're raphael is probably hiding somewhere Caleb. I've had mine around 6 weeks and I have only seen him out twice. I know where he hides though is the only reason I know he's still alive

That's the thing, I can't find it anywhere lol.

Caleb

The Glass Cats are easily the biggest in the tank right now. I would think it would have had to die and be a group meal :).

At least now I know it's not in there...I can replace it next time I add fish.

That's the thing, I can't find it anywhere lol.

Caleb

I couldn't find mine for 3 days after switching my Africans to the 65 hex. After a lot of frustration sorting through decor, and a big help from a flashlight, I found a cave within a fake hollow log that he snuggles up in tightly. You would never know he was there unless you had a light and flipped it upside down

Back
Top Bottom