Glass fogging up/Half land half water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMurrays

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am building a half land half water tank for fiddler crabs. I just turned on my heater today, and now the glass is fogging up. Does this go away? There are openings in the top, but it's not enough ventilation I guess...

Make a gap in the glass lids about 1/2-1inch the entire length of the tank at the front. The hot air will rise up the glass in the front of the tank and (hopefully) keep it clear.
I hope that makes sense. If not I'll reword it. :)

That makes sense. Problem is, I've heard that fiddlers are great climbers. And escape artists. I have covered the holes in the back (with a mesh like material... it has holes) to keep them from escaping. Maybe I could cover the front of it too, although it would look dumb haha.

How about removing the lid and replacing it with a screen top? They make them for the assorted tank sizes, or you can DIY. Will keep the crabs in and let the heat out.

Or get a small fan, like a computer fan and have it blow across the top. That would pull the humidity up from the tank.

Fiddlers are great escape artists, I used what they call wire cloth screen and formed it into a lid. Once fitted, they couldn't push it out (I used a heavier gauge) and it still allowed air flow.

Never thought of this problem. Let me know how you overcome it.

Thank you for the ideas! I pushed back the lid just enough to let some air escape, but not enough for the crabs to get out. When viewing them I open the top, and close it when I walk away. My husband is wanting to make a wire screen for the lid portion. I have a couple concerns. One is that the wire will get very warm from the light, which may or may not be a problem. Another is that the wire will start to rust from the moisture. Thoughts?

I'm having the same problem with my newts.. Except they can fit through anything! I have used heat lamps on wire tops for my lizards before and nothing happens. Maybe over years it will start to deform but I wouldn't worry about that. Appearance wise it isn't beautiful though..

Back
Top Bottom