Glass Surfing: When should I worry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venymae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a female dumbo betta in a 5.5 gallon tank. Heated 79, moderately planted, currently in fish-in cycles week 4. She is a super spunky fish, which is what I was attracted to in the store, however she NEVER. STOPS. GLASS SURFING! It's driving me bonkers! None of my previous fish did this. She has plenty of cover, and I keep parameters as good as possible (50% daily water changes currently). Is this just her normal?:ermm:

Glass surfing is quite common, but it's usually a male trying to fight his own reflection. I can't remember any female fish of mine doing it. That's not to say a female Betta couldn't do the same thing. The best way I've found to end glass surfing is to blackout the tank.
Once the reflection is gone, the offending fish usually stops. The glass surfing behavior usually gradually stops within a few weeks.
If your she Betta is eating, and otherwise acting normally probably no worries. If she continues to glass surf even after the lights are turned off the the problem might be related to unstable water parameters during the cycling process.

Back
Top Bottom