Glazed pots in an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a couple of pots in my aquarium and I just read a thread that they are poisonous for fish? I've had them in the tank for 3weeks and my fishes are fine. I got them from home depot. I hope it's not poisonous for I won't be able to take it out until tomorrow. :worried:

What do you mean you found out they are poisonous?

Most glazed things should be fine. Sometimes the glaze will contain lead, but a lot of that isn't available anymore in the US. Sometimes it is, but three weeks? It's not poisonous. I have had tons of different ceramic items and none of them have caused a problem.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
What do you mean you found out they are poisonous?

Most glazed things should be fine. Sometimes the glaze will contain lead, but a lot of that isn't available anymore in the US. Sometimes it is, but three weeks? It's not poisonous. I have had tons of different ceramic items and none of them have caused a problem.

I meant TOXIC not poisonous.

That's good to know that it's alright to use glazed pots. From what I read it says that if it's not labeled " for aquarium use" don't put it in your tank.

mgamer20o0 said:
why not just use terracotta pots?

They don't look as nice though. The article that I read don't even recommend terra-cotta pots because its not made for aquarium. We'll see what happens. Hope nothing bad will happen to my fish because I am not taking out the pots. :)

Well, that's to be on the safe side. Honestly, I use all kinds of non-aquarium stuff because I'm a poor college kid that loves to decorate. Personally, I soak everything in dechlor-water for about a week and check on it frequently. If the water doesn't smell funny or get a color, I try it. And I also lick it to see if it tastes funny... not recommending that one though. haha

It's just at your digression. I'm going to say you're good!

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Well, that's to be on the safe side. Honestly, I use all kinds of non-aquarium stuff because I'm a poor college kid that loves to decorate. Personally, I soak everything in dechlor-water for about a week and check on it frequently. If the water doesn't smell funny or get a color, I try it. And I also lick it to see if it tastes funny... not recommending that one though. haha

It's just at your digression. I'm going to say you're good!

That's funny. I'll smell it but won't taste it. Hehe. That's a good idea though. To soak it with dechlorinated water and observe it. Cool. Thanks :) :) :)

No problem. I use a lot of plates/bowls. If you ever use them, go for the ones made for eating and are micro/dishwasher safe. Some of the decorative ones will have lead glazes. I did pottery class for three years in high school and was BFF with my teacher, so I caught on to a lot of stuff that's coming in handy now!

TheCrazyFishLady said:
No problem. I use a lot of plates/bowls. If you ever use them, go for the ones made for eating and are micro/dishwasher safe. Some of the decorative ones will have lead glazes. I did pottery class for three years in high school and was BFF with my teacher, so I caught on to a lot of stuff that's coming in handy now!

That's nice. I use plates or bowls when filling up the tank. Use the ones that are dishwasher and microwave safe. Got it. Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom