Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Glo-fish in a 1.5 gallon tank!

Was quite surprised to see this "product" on the dr foster and smith aquaria site - a kit that includes a 1.5 gallon aquarium AND 6 GLO-FISH!! http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=23672

Was additionally surprised to see live aquaria listing the minimum tank size for a glo-fish AT 1 GALLON!
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...26&pcatid=3026

I thought GLO-fish are just zebra danios and had the same growth rates and space requirements? What is going on here? Do GLO-fish actually not growth.as big as zebras? Are they less active than typical zebras?

Or do you think this is just obviously corporations trying to make a buck at the expense of fishy well-being?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
They're just zebra danios- but different colors. They should have the same requirements.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is corporations trying to make a buck, and it is terrible. I have two glo-fish, and one of them is bigger than my normal zebra danios, so they definitely get just as big. Maybe we should all write letters letting them know how we feel.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think they're actually banned in a few countries. I can't remember which though.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's horrible, but it won't change.

I guess the only thing we can do is try to raise people's awareness that glo-fish need at least a 20 gallon long (30 inches wide) tank to be happy.

And a lot of you have reached this goal, because I myself had glo-fish in a smaller tank and you guys convinced me to get a bigger tank for them.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's really sad. But, it's one of those corporate things. And when it comes to marketing pets towards animals, I have seen a trend to go as small as possible (like bearded dragon and leopard gecko "complete set-ups").
Old 01-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish24907
It's horrible, but it won't change.

I guess the only thing we can do is try to raise people's awareness that glo-fish need at least a 20 gallon long (30 inches wide) tank to be happy.

And a lot of you have reached this goal, because I myself had glo-fish in a smaller tank and you guys convinced me to get a bigger tank for them.
Good for you.

I've been hanging around here long enough to know better than to put 6 Glo-fish in a 1.5 gallon tank, but coming from a newbie POV this is the kind of thing that really causes a beginner a lot of confusion!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisserydoo
I have two glo-fish, and one of them is bigger than my normal zebra danios, so they definitely get just as big.
It's amazing... If you look up zebra danios on the live aquaria site it actually states min tank size of 20 gallons. And it's the same fish!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by George9
I think they're actually banned in a few countries. I can't remember which though.
If you talking about glofish, they are ONLY available in the USA (except California).
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

If you talking about glofish, they are ONLY available in the USA (except California).
Why not california?

Tags
5 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com