Glo-fish in a 1.5 gallon tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
Was quite surprised to see this "product" on the dr foster and smith aquaria site - a kit that includes a 1.5 gallon aquarium AND 6 GLO-FISH!! http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23672

Was additionally surprised to see live aquaria listing the minimum tank size for a glo-fish AT 1 GALLON!
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+2855+3026&pcatid=3026

I thought GLO-fish are just zebra danios and had the same growth rates and space requirements? What is going on here? Do GLO-fish actually not growth.as big as zebras? Are they less active than typical zebras?

Or do you think this is just obviously corporations trying to make a buck at the expense of fishy well-being?

They're just zebra danios- but different colors. They should have the same requirements.

It is corporations trying to make a buck, and it is terrible. I have two glo-fish, and one of them is bigger than my normal zebra danios, so they definitely get just as big. Maybe we should all write letters letting them know how we feel.

I think they're actually banned in a few countries. I can't remember which though.

It's horrible, but it won't change.

I guess the only thing we can do is try to raise people's awareness that glo-fish need at least a 20 gallon long (30 inches wide) tank to be happy.

And a lot of you have reached this goal, because I myself had glo-fish in a smaller tank and you guys convinced me to get a bigger tank for them.

It's really sad. But, it's one of those corporate things. And when it comes to marketing pets towards animals, I have seen a trend to go as small as possible (like bearded dragon and leopard gecko "complete set-ups").

Fish24907 said:
It's horrible, but it won't change.

I guess the only thing we can do is try to raise people's awareness that glo-fish need at least a 20 gallon long (30 inches wide) tank to be happy.

And a lot of you have reached this goal, because I myself had glo-fish in a smaller tank and you guys convinced me to get a bigger tank for them.

Good for you.

I've been hanging around here long enough to know better than to put 6 Glo-fish in a 1.5 gallon tank, but coming from a newbie POV this is the kind of thing that really causes a beginner a lot of confusion!

Sisserydoo said:
I have two glo-fish, and one of them is bigger than my normal zebra danios, so they definitely get just as big.

It's amazing... If you look up zebra danios on the live aquaria site it actually states min tank size of 20 gallons. And it's the same fish!

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Zebra Longfin Danio

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Zebra Danio Minnow

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Gold Longfin Danio

All the above links are for Danio rerio and all list 10 gallons minimum size. Only Danio rerio glofish are recommended the 1 gallon. I'm not saying its not there but I couldn't find the 20 gallon recommendation at liveaquaria for Danio rerio.

I can't find anything at glofish.com that says 1 gallon is okay either. In fact they mention a lot of good things like learning about cycling, keeping with peaceful fish, and keeping in schools. I don't agree with displaying living creatures under black-light, though.

Are Black Lights Dangerous? | eHow.com

They do mention that fish need dark and light periods, so that was good. I couldn't find any specific gallon recommendation on the site.

Because of the expense and uncertainty of the CEQA (pronounced see-qwah) review process glofish are not sold in California.

Back
Top Bottom