glo fish pregnant or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettacrazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
My glo fish (no not goldfish) were really fat and I thought they were pregnant. They were pooping normally and there feeding is scheduled and rationed out properly. Then they were thin again but I saw no fry. And my tank is heavily planted with java moss and caves. Now there fat again and still pooping normally, whats the deal?????:confused:

Bettacrazy said:
My glo fish (no not goldfish) were really fat and I thought they were pregnant. They were pooping normally and there feeding is scheduled and rationed out properly. Then they were thin again but I saw no fry. And my tank is heavily planted with java moss and caves. Now there fat again and still pooping normally, whats the deal?????:confused:

Its possible that they did in fact spawn but your other fish ate them. What other fish in there?

Bettacrazy said:
there is no other fish but my 2 glo fish. And if they did have fry wouldnt some hide in the java moss?

Perhaps there was a miscarriage. Or maybe they couldn't survive. Babies are usually more sensitive than parents so that could be why.

itschromesteel said:
Glow fish lay eggs so I can assure you they are not pregnant. Most likely they are just fat.

True, but I believe they leave the eggs in their belly before scattering them (correct me if I'm wrong).

They can become egg bound but that doesn't sound like the case. They can't have a miscarriage because its not a live birth they eggs would just not have been fertilized or had a defect and turn white and you would be able to see them in the tank. More than likely if you see no eggs in the tank then not it is just a fat happy fish.

i believe the females actually fill with eggs and then the male has to fertilize them...if not done the eggs are dispensed of. atleast thats what i was told.

Back
Top Bottom