Glo Fish With Missing Tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curious1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello-I have six glo fish and I noticed tonight that two of them have tails that are missing! They look tattered like it is a fin rot or something is eating their tail fins. I have a community tank and the other four seem to be fine so I'm not sure what is going on. I would think if something else were attacking them they would be attacking all of the glo fish or if it was some kind of tail rot they would all have it but only two do. I am a beginner so I really don't know much about this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

What else is in the tank, and what size tank is it. Sounds like something is nipping at fins.

It is a 29 gallon tank. I have watched it for days and hours on end while I'm watching TV and I've never seen any other fish chasing them. They are very fast fish any way. I have what are supposed to be all community tank fish. I have Cardinal Tetras, Corydoras Catfish, small Comet Goldfish, Platty and African Dwarf Frog which is very timid and hides most of the time.

Have you watched the tank after lights out? It seems that this is when the nipping occurs more often IME. Weaker fish gt picked on more than health fish, so this could be why there are only two that are being harassed.

Personally, I would find the comet a new home. It will quickly out grow the 29, moreover it is is a coldwater fish where the rest of your fish are tropical.

If I had to pick possible culprits out of your stock list for fin nipping, it would be the comet, platies, or the other glo lights.

Wow! Great feedback. I think you are right. I haven't looked at the tank after the lights go out but I've just spent a lot of time watching it and I think I found the culprit. First of all I noticed that the comet goldfish's tail was also ragged! Then I noticed the male Platty nipping at the glo fish and gold fish. I read they are very peaceful community tank fish but that doesn't seem to be the case with this one. I just caught him and took him out and put him in a bowl and will attempt to take him back to the pet store tomorrow. In the meantime do you think my fish will recover now that he is out of the tank? Any suggestions for what I might get to replace him?

Your fish should recover fine. Just keep the water super clean and let nature heal them. If you start to notice any fungus, or don't see the new tail growth in the next week, you may want to think about adding some melafix or pimafix, or even possibly some aquarium salt as it has mild antibacterial properties.

Awesome! Thanks! It is so odd that what I read called the Platy a peaceful community tank fish. Oh well, live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom