Glo Fish Zebras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill2183

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, Has anyone heard anything about these new genetically altered zebras? Are they safe? Do they have all of the same characteristics of normal zebras?

I am considering getting some to add color to my tank. Any info would be appreciated.

Are they being sold already?

Personally I try to stay away from obviously genetically engineered fish. Neon glass fish come to mind.

I almost bought some glo-fish (i don't remember if they were zebras or not) but the guy that I talked to at my lfs said he got complaints of them loosing their color and being very fragile (dying easily)

Im sure there are more natural ways to add color to your tank *nod*

I think people may be confusing the genetically modified glo-fish with "painted" fish. The painted glass tetra, etc. are physically injected with dye, so they are stressed, and weak, etc.

From what I understood, the original "Glow" Zebra Danios are made with genetically engineering techniques. But after that they are bred just like any other fish, so should behave just like an ordinary Danio (except for color, which should not fade). IMO, this is far more humane than injecting dye into fish.

If you're refering to my post I know the difference between glow fish and painted fish. But I still prefer "natural" fish to altered in some way fish.

Actually, I was thinking about the comment from the lfs lyquidphyre quoted. I have no strong feelings with "natural" vs "altered" fish .. I say to each its own.

Thats odd, the ones that have physically injected ink were called glow fish. That is prolly why I was confused

Yes, to each their own. I have problems with genetically altered things. Which is odd because Im a science major- but whatever =o)

Hi there....

See my thread on "Glofish are coming".

These are NOT "Painted" fish!!
nor are they "neons" as is the pix posted above!

Bernie

Back
Top Bottom