Glofish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverrose11436

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I read that Glofish are basically the same as Zebra Danio's. A friend of mine has a Glofish that went crazy and is going after the other fish in her tank. She has since seperated him from the tank. I was wondering if someone could tell me more about Danios. I heard they are aggressive, but everything I read is saying they are community fish. Can someone clarify this for me, please?
Thanks.

They are usually great community fish, small and schooling. As with any fish though there are exceptions and individuals who are not so peaceful. Separation is one solution, but a larger school of danios may also fix the problem. It may also be good for a tank of fish that are slightly larger than it but who are not large enough to eat it.

They are aggressive when not kept in a proper school of at least six fish. My zebra danios are in a group of six, and are model community members.

Glofish are genetically modified zebra danios. It is a completely natural thing, and causes the fish no pain.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

I had a funny feeling they were better off in a school. Sadly, my friend got these fish at Walmart and all the sign said was that they were glofish and nothing else really. I was tempted to get these fish myself but at $5 a fish i'm not able to get enough to keep them happy atm. (glad I didn't just get 1 or 2 like i was going to now) I really wish stores would tell you a little something about the fish you are buying, especially if you're going to spend more than a dollar or two...but i think that's a rant for another time, lol.

They will school with zebras. After all, they're the same fish, just different colors.

LOL i guess 4 wasn't enough for these guys...my friend had zebras with them too (before they died).

I had a funny feeling they were better off in a school. Sadly, my friend got these fish at Walmart and all the sign said was that they were glofish and nothing else really. I was tempted to get these fish myself but at $5 a fish i'm not able to get enough to keep them happy atm. (glad I didn't just get 1 or 2 like i was going to now) I really wish stores would tell you a little something about the fish you are buying, especially if you're going to spend more than a dollar or two...but i think that's a rant for another time, lol.

Do you have a Petsmart near you? I was just in both my local Petco and my local Petsmart this week. Petco had them for $5.99 while Petsmart had them for just $3.

Really?!? Wow that's so much cheaper!!! I actually have to look at the fish at my local Petsmart, Petco had a bunch of tanks with ich. After my last bout with it I am verrrryyyy leary about it now. :) But i will have to check them out at petsmart now. :)

They are aggressive when not kept in a proper school of at least six fish. My zebra danios are in a group of six, and are model community members.

Glofish are genetically modified zebra danios. It is a completely natural thing
, and causes the fish no pain.

Glofish (TM) are genetically modified zebra danios. There is nothing natural about the process.

Probably because they are genetically modified. They aren't natural, they are created. CA is probably worried about what would happen if they got into the lakes and rivers there. The creaters of glofish claim that they will die, but you never know...

severum mama said:
Glofish (TM) are genetically modified zebra danios. There is nothing natural about the process.

What I meant by natural, was that it wasn't something injected painfully into the fish. I didn't mean that it happened on it's own. At the time I didn't know how to word it.

What I meant by natural, was that it wasn't something injected painfully into the fish. I didn't mean that it happened on it's own. At the time I didn't know how to word it.

I actually read about it, the inject it into their eggs to give them the fluorescent colors. poor fishies, never knew what hit 'em!

Oh, I had read something completely different. I don't know. Disregard anything I said about them now, because I don't know how they made them.

LOL as you know you can find so many different pages to contradict any one thing you read. Who's to say what i read is right, after all i came here for clarification of what i was reading, LOL. :)

Yeah. I had read that it was gene splicing, or something, and that after the initial color change that didn't hurt the fish, all fry inherited the colorful appearance.

I heard something similar to bettababe. I remember reading something about exchanging a peice of danio D.N.A. with jellyfish D.N.A., although I'm not really positive about that.

LOL all i know is when it comes to breeding/gene mutations/all that fun stuff its all greek to me. :) I leave that to the experts. HAHA All I know is i have an incoming glofish tomorrow...I guess you can call me the fish rescue-er. :) He/She's going to be hanging out in my tiny tank till i can get him enough roommates to keep him/her happy. :)

Not sure, it sounds right, but I'm not sure what exactly was exchanged.

Back
Top Bottom