GloFish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As has been stated, glo fish are genetically modified danios and tetras that are used for both scientific and commercial purposes. They're essentially identical to their unmodified counterparts and as such the danios will need no less than two feet of lateral space to swim in, giving you the 20 long and 29 gallon tanks as solid choices for them. They'll prefer a bit of a current to play in, and an airstone will delight them. I find them more attractive under natural light (then again I also prefer natural danios), but children may enjoy them under the blacklight. I find claims of health risks from the glo light dubious, but it may be worthwhile to have a normal led strip as well as the blacklight if you choose to go that route, as a blacklight doesn't look very good in daylight.
My opinion, however, is that given the investment required to properly house danios, it would be a shame to limit yourself to a species tank when you could possibly find even more entertainment in naturally colorful species.

They wouldn't be going together.. My betta is SUPER laid back and I like him like that. I definitely dont want him getting all cray on me over other fish.

^^ Like I said before they WILL NOT be going together.
&& as for what was said in my firs post.. I don't trust my children with my ADFs and Betta. lol- They're still a little young 5 & 3.. They have a hard time with food portions.

I have four of the glo-lites and i think they are kinda cool. I have one that has a green eye and a black eye :p they definitely add a pip of color thats for sure :]

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn

I've never heard of those, I'll have to check those out.

I started a thread about this a couple years ago, same concerns and almost verbatim comments :)
Bottom lines:
**Opinions vary as to how aesthetically pleasing they are. (I like mine under a blue actinic light, not black light)

**They are NOT tattooed or dyed in any way, they had their genes modified with jellyfish genes. (originally for detecting pollutants, but now for profit).

**If you keep them or not is your choice as long as it's legal in your area, the skirts behave like skirts, the danios like danios, and the barbs like barbs. All are fast, nippy fish.

My kids love the glo-tetras, and we keep them with, of all things, glass cats, which seems to be fine. This tank has been set up like this for well over a year, and have had no troubles. I had the glo danios before the tetras, and they all seemed to develop a wonky spine after about a year, so we went with the tetras.
I have a picture of the tank somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

I started a thread about this a couple years ago, same concerns and almost verbatim comments :)
Bottom lines:
**Opinions vary as to how aesthetically pleasing they are. (I like mine under a blue actinic light, not black light)

**They are NOT tattooed or dyed in any way, they had their genes modified with jellyfish genes. (originally for detecting pollutants, but now for profit).

**If you keep them or not is your choice as long as it's legal in your area, the skirts behave like skirts, the danios like danios, and the barbs like barbs. All are fast, nippy fish.

My kids love the glo-tetras, and we keep them with, of all things, glass cats, which seems to be fine. This tank has been set up like this for well over a year, and have had no troubles. I had the glo danios before the tetras, and they all seemed to develop a wonky spine after about a year, so we went with the tetras.
I have a picture of the tank somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

How big is your tank and how fish/type do you have in it?
I know it narrows down to "to each their own".. I jst like opinions of people who have an item to compare on information read. Especially since the "know-it-alls" jst Google information 3/4 of the time.

((NOT IMPLYING ANYONE WHO POSTED HERE HAS)) BUt-- you know what I mean. You can only get so much information from Google or research VS someone who has a fish, whether they be Glofish or normal species of it.

How big is your tank and how fish/type do you have in it?
I know it narrows down to "to each their own".. I jst like opinions of people who have an item to compare on information read. Especially since the "know-it-alls" jst Google information 3/4 of the time.

((NOT IMPLYING ANYONE WHO POSTED HERE HAS)) BUt-- you know what I mean. You can only get so much information from Google or research VS someone who has a fish, whether they be Glofish or normal species of it.
Tried to reply, but it went away, hopefully not a duplicate post.
Anyway, I have a nonplanted 20g high with an aquaclear 70 HOB filter, 100w heater.
Stock is 8 glo tetras (2 purple, 3 pink, 2 orange and a yellow), 2 glass cats (with 3 in the isolation tank-replacements have been really hard to get around here for the last year), and 5 head and tail light tetras.
Params have been great, nitrates never over 40, PWC of 50% every 10-14 days depending on my work schedule.
Here's a pic of some of the fish sorry for the poor quality:
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Sambo7475's Album: Sam's tanks - Picture

Sambo;
I appreciate your input. I think my kids will love them.. They always want to help when Im messing with the Betta and ADFs, and I feel bad telling them no.. BUT- it's not exactly easy for them to feed them through the opening and the top is glass. It's an end table.. The hand coordination/ jst a pinch jst isnt there, it ends up ALLLL over the carpet which equals a mess for me. lol-

Not a problem, my kids absolutely love my tanks, although the glofish tank is my daughter's favorite. My youngest son has down syndrome, and kids with DS seem to fixate on certain things. His is fish. He fed my fish half a peanut butter sandwich a while back because they looked hungry :)
At the end of the day, it's what makes you and your family happy that matters most.

Not a problem, my kids absolutely love my tanks, although the glofish tank is my daughter's favorite. My youngest son has down syndrome, and kids with DS seem to fixate on certain things. His is fish. He fed my fish half a peanut butter sandwich a while back because they looked hungry :)
At the end of the day, it's what makes you and your family happy that matters most.

Oh I definitely know that feeling!!
We stared out with 8 "carnie" goldfish.. before that I hadn't had fish since 2005! We've gone through a good deal of different fish that the kids had picked out, and of course I jst bought them.. not thinking long term.
This tank has acquired a few things from my son who thought they needed barbie brushes, beads, and even trucks and Thomas trains so they can play!!
I was lucky enough to come across a baby betta at my LFS, and him with the Frogs have survived the longest! ((sounds terrible, I know.. I was really jst trying to get them the items they were interested in. Because my husband doesn't understand my plants, inside and outside.. or my love for fish))

I just don't like them because they aren't as nice looking as they are naturally. Naturally they are stunning why mess with them. I think they are eye soars but if people want to keep them I have no issues with it.

I just don't like them because they aren't as nice looking as they are naturally. Naturally they are stunning why mess with them. I think they are eye soars but if people want to keep them I have no issues with it.

+1 I like them naturally the way they are

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

I don't know.. they're tacky but the one thing that really bugs me at the chain stores are those goofy looking parrots and balloon strains, can't stand them.. if they could talk it'd be like that scene from the fly.. "kill me...Kill meeeeeeeee, bleahhhh"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't know.. they're tacky but the one thing that really bugs me at the chain stores are those goofy looking parrots and balloon strains, can't stand them.. if they could talk it'd be like that scene from the fly.. "kill me...Kill meeeeeeeee, bleahhhh"

HAHAHAHA-- I've never really imagined fish talking but now, that's all I'm going to think of when I look at them!!

:lol: Hilarious.. I've thought the exact same thing before, also with certain ridiculously deformed fancy goldfish that can barely even swim.

I LOOOVE when people use statements such as "Natural looking" in regards to aquarium fish. There's absolutely nothing "natural" looking about most fish in our hobby. Through aggressive inbreeding we've brought out colors and shapes that would never exist in the wild as well as breeding out much of the resilience their natural counterparts have.

My favorite example:

Wild Guppies
glass1.jpg

Fancy guppies
img_3141118_1_4d8398ab729c606cc581a606e7d53105.jpg

The glow fish are no less natural than these guppies are.

I LOOOVE when people use statements such as "Natural looking" in regards to aquarium fish. There's absolutely nothing "natural" looking about most fish in our hobby. Through aggressive inbreeding we've brought out colors and shapes that would never exist in the wild as well as breeding out much of the resilience their natural counterparts have.

My favorite example:

Wild Guppies
glass1.jpg

Fancy guppies
img_3141127_1_4d8398ab729c606cc581a606e7d53105.jpg

I agree Same with Bettas Alison

I highly disagree. Line breeding is one thing (guppies) physically altering a fish (dayglow) and breeding fish for deformities is another. I prefer NATURAL looking fish. I don't do telescoping eyes, or injected, or huge koks or blood parrots. I did by one blood parrot but that is because it didn't have a deformed face. Other people love them but I don't it is just my preference.

There is nothing wrong with using the word natural looking. Yes you could tell the difference between a wild zebra danio and a captive one but they look very similar and many people cant tell the difference. But there is no confusing a dayglow danio and a wild one.

Now that I think of it all of my fish look like wild counterparts mainly because some are from the wild and others are very close. So I don't see how there is anything wrong with using the word natural with aquarium fish.

Mebbid does make a valid point.
Even though I'm pretty sure you can't breed a Jelly Fish and a Zebra Danio.. cross breeding happens.

Mebbid does make a valid point.
Even though I'm pretty sure you can't breed a Jelly Fish and a Zebra Danio.. cross breeding happens.

It would be quite a sight to see happen though! :D

I highly disagree. Line breeding is one thing (guppies) physically altering a fish (dayglow) and breeding fish for deformities is another. I prefer NATURAL looking fish. I don't do telescoping eyes, or injected, or huge koks or blood parrots. I did by one blood parrot but that is because it didn't have a deformed face. Other people love them but I don't it is just my preference.

There is nothing wrong with using the word natural looking. Yes you could tell the difference between a wild zebra danio and a captive one but they look very similar and many people cant tell the difference. But there is no confusing a dayglow danio and a wild one.

Now that I think of it all of my fish look like wild counterparts mainly because some are from the wild and others are very close. So I don't see how there is anything wrong with using the word natural with aquarium fish.

Most people in the hobby throw around natural without having any knowledge of just how far removed their fish are from their predecessors. The hobby is moving more and more towards mutant fish every day while people turn up their noses at glow fish which are perfectly viable fish. They have far fewer abnormalities than any of the balloon fish and blood parrots, less problems with disease, and are hardier than many of the severely line bred specimens we keep.

Back
Top Bottom