Glofish: dyed or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shigshwa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Interestingly, when I came home, I noticed that one of my Green glofish died. I noticed a snail munching on it, and I saw what appeared to be some sort of greenish dye being released as it was being eaten. Is the fluorescence produced by production of fluorescent coloring pigments in the fish, or were they dyed? I got these at the local Petsmart btw.

Interestingly, when I came home, I noticed that one of my Green glofish died. I noticed a snail munching on it, and I saw what appeared to be some sort of greenish dye being released as it was being eaten. Is the fluorescence produced by production of fluorescent coloring pigments in the fish, or were they dyed? I got these at the local Petsmart btw.
there not,there genetically modified zebra danios. they may be selling dyed ones to get around the no breeding and selling glofish law though(there trademarked)

I'm assuming that the green stuff is a pigment of some sort. And interestingly, it made my water slightly green for a while, until the filter got it all. None of my fish have been affected in any way yet though.

As others have said, they are not dyed. I have seen this too though. When one of my red ones died, I bagged it and froze it to return it on my next trip, since I only had it a few days. By the time I got to the store with it later it was half thawed and the water was full of swirls of red. Also when a fish is dyed, the color fades away, usually completely within just a few months from what I've seen.

this says there illegal in canada, lol,i live in canada and my LFS sell sthem(but calls them "mixed fancy danios")
haha that's funny! I'm pretty sure they are illegal in California too.

Back
Top Bottom