Glofish fry care ..please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sandrago

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was surprised to discover 3 glofish fry hanging out on a plant this morning. They got lucky cause i was getting ready for a tank cleaning. I had no clue that my glofish layed eggs. I found a lot of eggs stuck to plants as i inspected. I quickly went to the store to buy a mesh plant and fry food. What i need to know is will they be safe. They are very tiny. Probably only a few days old. I have 3 glo tetras and 3 glofish. The pet store guy said i didnt need to seperate them. But my instincts say otherwise. What should i do. Im afraid seperating them will shock them some how but i dont want them to get eaten. Im hoping that the mesh plant that covers the floor will keep them safe. Also since they are so tiny i have no idea how many i have. I domsee 2 of them hanging on a leaf of the floor plant. Thanks guys for any advise

separator

do you have another tank? or breeder net? I used a tupperware with small holes drilled in several places, then I hung it at water level and taped it. Or you could use a breeder net, they sell them at petco or pets mart. Then you don't have another tank and they don't get eaten. I used FINELY crushed pellet food for my fry. And they turned out just fine.

How do i get the fry in the net or tupperware without hurting them?
They are so small and my gravel is black.

Umm, I might be wrong, but I think it is illegal to breed glofish (I know you aren't trying to). Or maybe your not allowed to sell the fry. I say this because they are patented. But to answer your question, use a turkey baster. That's what I sometimes do with newly born fry. It sounds a bit cruel, but is a lot less stressful than being chased around the tank for a while. Good luck!

It is illegal to breed glofish with the intention of selling them. I tried to breed them once but I didn't have a continuous supply of live food.

Im not going to sell them. My son has a few friends that we can give them to when the fry are big enough. I didnt plan on breeding. It just happened. But for now i can only see 2 at a time. I will work on seperating them. How often do these fish breed anyway?

I have 'heard' that they lay eggs every day, but I have never bred or kept them, so...

Ok i got 5 fry seperated in a mesh bowl floating in the tank. Anything else i need to do or know?

Back
Top Bottom